The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Join-up! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/join-up-8321/)

amightytarzan5 04-27-2008 02:11 PM

Join-up!

I don't have any pictures, but I joined up with my horse this weekend! It was amazing. I also got him to "jump" (he really just trotted high, but he did jump a few times) which he didn't do last weekend! I was so excited about the join-up though!

What are your views on join-up and have you ever joined up with your horse?

FledgeOfNarnia 04-27-2008 05:17 PM

Congratulations!

I have done the join-up with my arab geld. It put him in a different frame of mind . . if that makes any sense. :D He was . . . thinking more, I guess, instead of just reacting all the time. I think the join up helps the horse to see the human more as his leader. That's just me, though :)

amightytarzan5 04-28-2008 04:08 PM

Yeah, I really like join-up. It's more of the natural way horses think and act, rather than forcing them to do something. Last weekend, I didn't join-up with Spider, and he wouldn't jump. This weekend, after I joined-up with him, he was more willing to jump. I really think it helps horses.

PoptartShop 04-28-2008 09:09 PM

Aw, that's really cool! :) Congrats.

crackrider 04-29-2008 04:08 AM

Good on you!! I've done it once! It felt sooo AWESOME!! :D
I've tried again but it didn't really work as well.

One of the trainers I know uses join up all the time along with other Monty Roberts methods and she is amazing to watch!

amightytarzan5 04-29-2008 05:21 PM

yeah, I love monty roberts! I first heard of him when my dad found his shy boy book in perfect condition in a recycle bin! he got it and brought it home to me and i loved it! i went with my aunt to one of his clinics and he was great!

4xlucky 05-01-2008 12:08 PM

My teen daughter has trained a couple of horses that were green broke and has done an excellent job. I am considering getting her a little filly to start working with. She does most of her learning through reading and DVDs. Join-up sounds interesting for ground work with this filly that has not had any handling. Could you recommend a Monty Roberts book or DVD for her to learn join-up?
Thanks so much!

Abby 05-01-2008 12:11 PM

I do join up with all of my horses, one of my geldings will join up after a single lap and my other gelding will sweat himself before finally joining up. He is new though and getting to know me still. our mare Joins up well.

amightytarzan5 05-01-2008 04:05 PM

4xlucky, here's his website where you can purchase DVDs and VHSs on Join-up and other things: http://www.montyroberts.com/shop_education.html

I really like Monty Roberts and he's a great trainer! His philosopy is to train by natural ways instead of by force. He's amazing.

ChocolateGal 05-03-2008 09:44 AM

We use Monty Roberts DVD's and have reaped the joy and benefit of join up.

It is a great feeling.

Robin