The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   applying for a job ~ what to include (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/applying-job-%7E-what-include-83254/)

Lonannuniel 04-07-2011 05:07 PM

applying for a job ~ what to include

Hey guys! I am looking around at barns in my area, and one of the stables has an online application that can be sent in, which is ideal for me, and I was just wondering the best way to answer the ' tell me about yourself in a few words' section of the application. What should I include? Is there anything I should specifically mention, or specifically leave out? any advice would be great! thanks!

gaelgirl 04-07-2011 09:29 PM

My advice is to think about what you would want to see if you were hiring someone to take care of your horse, and include that. Good luck!

Poseidon 04-07-2011 11:16 PM

Any hobbies outside of horses, especially notable ones (like, I could say I was a playmaker for all four years of high school and initiated as a Thespian when I was junior), any leadership opportunities you've had, any accomplishments, how many years of horse experience you've had, how many horse accomplishments you have, etc.

Like, mine could say the part I mentioned about being a theatre geek, then I could add that I've played the flute for 10 years and violin for 11. I am also Lifeguard/CPR/First Aid certified (have been for 4 years) and I've worked as a summer camp counselor since 2007, where I work as a lifeguard and a wrangler. Just stuff you're proud of about yourself and someone would find interesting.

Does that make sense?

AlexS 04-08-2011 01:54 AM

trustworthy, honest, reliable, that type of thing.

Shiavo 04-08-2011 03:13 AM

I would suggest things like:
"I am innovative and hard working and take on tasks independantly with enthusiasm as I enjoy learning and developing new skills. I also enjoy group work as it gives me an opportunity to learn from other and further advance my own understanding through helping others" BLAH BLAH BLAH.
But tailor it a little more to your stuff with sentances like "Through my time at <volunteer place number 1> I found that I developed strong leadership abilities and learnt a lot through <insert chore here>" . Kind of sentances.

Sorry, that may be a little more formal than you're looking for. :)
Best of luck!

* Edit: Just realised how horrible my grammar was in all of that, but you get the idea I hope :)

Ali M 04-08-2011 04:15 PM

I just talked with my career counselor at my college and she said to avoid stuff like, 'dependable, trustworthy, hard worker' because, really, how are the employers supposed to know if you're telling the truth? People who know nothing about horses and are super lazy will say the same exact thing.

SHOW them you have experience and are a hard worker. If you put in 12 hr days, 6 times a week at another farm or trained x amount of horses for a summer or something, they'll know that that takes work and will trust you more when you say that you're a hard worker or trustworthy. Use what you've done to make inferences about your character

Lonannuniel 04-08-2011 09:32 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm still a bit worried, should I include my age, how long I've been riding, how long i've been cleaning office buildings ( my previous job) or how long i had been working for my trainer? Should i also include my means of transportation, or the days I would be available to work? would if be a good idea to mention other chores that I am able to do ( i.e cleaning walls, windows, etc.), or would that be weird?

Shiavo 04-08-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonannuniel
should I include my age

Only if you feel it may somehow be relevant. And in addition, if you plan to, I'd put your date of birth instead of just writing your age :) .

Quote:

how long I've been riding

Yes Yes! They're going to want to know that you know a bit about horses and how to act around them. But I would recommend saying something like 'I have a lot of experience with dealing with horses, not only through instruction but I have gained a lot of knowledge in my personal life as I have an enthusiasm for riding something something something...'

Quote:

how long i've been cleaning office buildings ( my previous job) or how long i had been working for my trainer?

Yup! The more experience the better! And cleaning office buildings could definately come in handy! They'll know that you have had a hand in hard work and know how to using cleaning products and equipment and that you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

Quote:

Should i also include my means of transportation, or the days I would be available to work?

I wouldn't include either of these. This section of the resume is asking about what you're going to bring to the job and why you're the person for the job. They'll query this afterward (or in a different section of the application) when they need to (and hopefully, after they've already decided they really want you as a member of their team :) ).

Quote:

would if be a good idea to mention other chores that I am able to do ( i.e cleaning walls, windows, etc.), or would that be weird?

Weird? Nope, not at all! I go through a LOT of applications for where I work and weed out the 'Not a chance' and 'Looks promising' resumes. I don't know about everyone else, but I like when people have thought a little outside of the box and realised they have some good things they've learnt that they could apply to working with me. And cleaning skills would be a plus at a barn, I think!!

Best of luck! And as a note, don't get discouraged if you don't get replies straight away. Just keep at it!