The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   When does a male horse mature? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/when-does-male-horse-mature-83271/)

mpleasance 04-07-2011 08:24 PM

When does a male horse mature?

Most people I ask say two, but I thought it could happen at the earliest age of one?

CJ82Sky 04-07-2011 08:30 PM

it depends - are you talking sexually? i know a vet that had a (i believe - will check on this) 9 mo old impregnate his mother because they weren't separated properly. (not the vet's horse - he had to deal with the aftermath of it all...)

article below says as early as a year they can be mature.

The Horse | Stallion Sexual Behavior: When Is He Mature?

mpleasance 04-07-2011 08:36 PM

Yeah, I ment sexually. Just wondering because where we have them boarded at my boyfriends gradfather right now (probably temporairly, because he thinks he knows everything and we are "always wrong") and it would be my horses half brother that is just coming a year old shortly. The colt can't be out with its father (father of my horse as well) because the stud will go after it now. I thought that was a good sign he is going to be dropping soon, so we told his grandfather we didn't want our mares out with the colt where he could drop soon. He was rude and acted like we didn't know anything at all and that they can only breed at two blah blah blah and he said something about our knowlege of horses and "we wont even go there" i wanted to punch him right in the face because all of his horses have rain rot from last summer and feet that are only done once a year and never groomed maybe once a year.

CJ82Sky 04-07-2011 08:39 PM

males drop well before two - some get gelded at weanling. i just had my one colt gelding at 9 mos and both were there and working...

lilkitty90 04-07-2011 08:56 PM

my cold finally dropped and he's a year old, but SEVERAL people here have already had their colts gelded by 7 months of age, my guy is officially acting studdy and he turned a year this month and NEEDS to be seperated now, before he gets anyone. the snip is also comming this month as well.

NdAppy 04-07-2011 09:04 PM

Depending on the horse, the can be sexually "mature" as early as six months old...

csimkunas6 04-07-2011 09:48 PM

Rodeo was gelded back in the end of Jan...he was only 9months old, and from what I was told, he was mature :)

mpleasance 04-07-2011 10:45 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Nice to confirm I'm correct and at least know something lol