The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Schleese and CWD saddle ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/schleese-cwd-saddle-83377/)

dally 04-09-2011 11:20 AM

Schleese and CWD saddle ?

I was just looking around and found Schleese saddle and CWD saddle.
first time I saw these brands and I haven' heard much from anyone about them so I was wondering if any of you guys have tried, own a Schleese or CWD saddle and what do you think about them?

I saw Schleese are Canadian right? and they have the adjustable gullet system?
the CWD are french ? but they dont have as much models.

they both look like really good brand saddles ?

CJ82Sky 04-09-2011 02:15 PM

dont know much about schleese other than anyone i know that has one loves it. as for cwd i LOVE their tack. i have a few of their bridles and their leather is like butter... just amazing. i'd love one of their saddles but i can't afford it lol.

sixlets 04-09-2011 03:15 PM

I've ridden in a Schleese and LOVED it, but friends tried the same one and hated it. My suggestion would be to try one out first. If you're going to drop that much cash on a saddle it better be one you love :) Even if you can't try the exact one that you end up buying, maybe you could find a local seller and go sit on one, even if it's just on a saddle rack. With Schleese, from what others have told me, you'll know right away if you hate it.

dally 04-09-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ82Sky (Post 991903)
dont know much about schleese other than anyone i know that has one loves it. as for cwd i LOVE their tack. i have a few of their bridles and their leather is like butter... just amazing. i'd love one of their saddles but i can't afford it lol.

how much were the bridles? they dont have prices on their website :-|

dally 04-09-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixlets (Post 991925)
I've ridden in a Schleese and LOVED it, but friends tried the same one and hated it. My suggestion would be to try one out first. If you're going to drop that much cash on a saddle it better be one you love :) Even if you can't try the exact one that you end up buying, maybe you could find a local seller and go sit on one, even if it's just on a saddle rack. With Schleese, from what others have told me, you'll know right away if you hate it.

yeah i figure i wold have to sit in one before I buy, but they are hard to find, have not seen any tack shop with either one of the brands.

how is the gullet system change on the schleese?

CJ82Sky 04-09-2011 06:09 PM

$400 - $600 USD. my friend owns a tack shop so i got them for under retail fortunately and the quality of leather is amazing imo!

crimsonsky 04-09-2011 06:59 PM

both are lovely, well made saddles - great leather (totally agree with cj's "like butter" description) and well put together. idk about how adjustable the CWDs are but the Schleeses are spectacular for adjusting to fit your horse.

like others have said, see if you can find one to try out or at least sit in to see what you think. if you've found a well priced used one, count yourself lucky. ;)

upnover 04-09-2011 07:41 PM

I've never sat in a schleese but a friend (who owns a tack shop) told me that she thought they were overrated. I can't remember exactly what she said about them though! I think comfort level and perhaps quality as well wasn't superb.

There are very few people who don't like CWDs! they are very comfortable and excellent quality.

crimsonsky 04-09-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 992127)
I've never sat in a schleese but a friend (who owns a tack shop) told me that she thought they were overrated. I can't remember exactly what she said about them though! I think comfort level and perhaps quality as well wasn't superb.

There are very few people who don't like CWDs! they are very comfortable and excellent quality.

haha - i can't say that i could ever justify spending the ~$3k for either a schleese or cwd but if i had to choose which brand is more worth the cost, i'd say the cwd is. the schleeses are nice for sure, but they're also certainly (imo) overpriced.

sixlets 04-09-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dally (Post 992010)
yeah i figure i wold have to sit in one before I buy, but they are hard to find, have not seen any tack shop with either one of the brands.

how is the gullet system change on the schleese?

I'm pretty sure you use a screw on the underside toward the pommel to widen or tighten the gullet, but not positive. They do have people to send out to fit the saddle to your horse, and teach you how to change it.