The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Stabling/Pasture Time. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/stabling-pasture-time-83421/)

ChingazMyBoy 04-10-2011 01:19 AM

Stabling/Pasture Time.

Hello,

After moving Chinga to a new place just under two months ago this has given me the opportunity to stable him. Although, so far I have not done this because he hasn't been stabled since he was a race horse and I haven't felt the need to. Although now I am doing full time showing and am thinking it would be a more appropriate choice to be stabling him during the night and allowing him full exercising/grazing area during the days.

Suggestions please? Thank you all who offer advice in advanced and it is very much appreciated.

equus717 04-10-2011 02:21 AM

That is what I do with my mare Cutter. I do the opposite though. I don't want her bleached before her shows so I turn her out at night and leave her stabled during the day.

MaggiStar 04-10-2011 06:53 AM

I stable my guys the night before the competition to keep the clean i also stable full time in the winter due to field conditions.
it is your choice on what works best for you and your horse

Kayty 04-10-2011 10:52 AM

I try to keep mine living out 24/7 for as long as possible. My dressage horse is paddocked 24/7 at the moment, and looks a million bucks, lovely condition, coat is like satin and great muscle tone. However as we're coming into winter, I will be getting him clipped in a month and seeing as thats when the bad weathers starts coming in, I'll be stabling at night and putting him out during the day. Usually when stabling, I bring them in at dusk, and put them out at dawn to give maximum grazing time. On the REALLY horrendous days, when we get big storms, wind, driving rain etc come through, I leave him in all day but give plentiful meadow hay for them to munch on.