The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   White..(scabs?) In Ears (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/white-scabs-ears-83447/)

horsesexposed 04-10-2011 09:52 AM

White..(scabs?) In Ears

My mare Cloud, ever since we bought her a year ago, has had these off-white/white crusty, scabby looking things in her ears. I don't have a picture so imagine a small chestnut white looking dry scab in your horse's ear. It is obviously very painful, brideling her is always a challenge. It just hurts so bad. She has a few of them in each ear.

We called the vet, we got a small sample after some sturggeling, and the vet said that he can't do anything/ doesn't know what to do. We were thinking about giving her drugs and calming her down to take them out, but that's not in our budget right now.

Have any of you guys seen this, or have your horse have it? Please respond! If you have a solution please share!

Five Furlongs 04-10-2011 10:18 AM

does she have these year round?

GreyRay 04-10-2011 10:41 AM

They are warts. Extremely comman. Most of our horses have them, and they arent any problem. Some people think they are caused by the Black Fly, but I don't know.
More than likely your horse being headshy is a behavual problem that needs training to correct.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsesexposed 04-10-2011 10:45 AM

yes, year round.

horsesexposed 04-10-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyRay (Post 992775)
They are warts. Extremely comman. Most of our horses have them, and they arent any problem. Some people think they are caused by the Black Fly, but I don't know.
More than likely your horse being headshy is a behavual problem that needs training to correct.
Posted via Mobile Device

She's not head shy, I can touch and rub all around her ears, inbetween too. She's not headshy at all, but just inside her ears. I just want to gt rid of them so that it dosn't bother her anymore. Do you suggest that I figure out some money and drug her to get them removed? Or do you know of some type of medication I can put on them?

Left Hand Percherons 04-10-2011 11:10 AM

They're called aural plaques. Not a whole lot you can do for them. There is a product on the market, Aldara, that is used but it has other side effects (swelling) and it has to be put inside the ear on a regular basis that makes it hard to do right without sedation.

I would try keeping a fly mask with ears on her. Can't hurt. Add a Vit A rich product (Mare Plus, Clovite or liquid Vit A) to the diet to improve her skin. Should help her clean them up herself.