The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/boarding-83471/)

Arksly 04-10-2011 04:26 PM

Boarding

Would you pay more to board at a stable with an equine vet clinic on the property? If so, how much?

MyLittleHunter 04-10-2011 04:35 PM

I definitely would. A quick response can mean the difference between life or death. As for how much more I would pay, it would depend on the location, experience and reputation of the vet(s), etc. Plus no barns in my area have this, so I have no idea how much more it normally is. lol

AlexS 04-10-2011 04:46 PM

I think I would pay a bit more, but not much. While it would be a wonderful thing to have, you wouldn't use it that often.

It would certainly be a huge pull when choosing which stables to board at though.

jethroish 04-10-2011 05:43 PM

Possibly.
If it were a "fresh out of vet school with little real world experience," maybe a little. At least I would not have to trailer the horses to the vet to get routine vacs and health papers.

Cinder 04-10-2011 06:05 PM

I definitely would. Not in insane amount though. Maybe like 50 or so dollars a month and then if an emergency happens you'll cut the cost a certain amount?

Shasta1981 04-11-2011 08:12 PM

I definitely would too. Not sure how much though - $50 sounds about right.

cebee 04-11-2011 08:39 PM

I would probably pay a bit more, if there were other 'perks' to go with it- ie, shots, coggins, etc. Just to have it on site, if there were no other advantages, I dont know. But then, I board at a barn that primarily trail rides. Maybe a barn with a lot of show horses, jumpers, or other situtaions that may incur more injuries would find it more of an advantage.

equiniphile 04-11-2011 09:10 PM

I would. With all Excel's foot issues, not paying a farm call for our vet's 2-minute drive over would pay for itself!

Poseidon 04-11-2011 11:16 PM

I would pay more. Not terribly more because I'm a poor college student, but it would be very helpful if needed. My vet is about an hour and a half away (there are no large animal vets in the immediate area. All of them are all about an hour or so away) and her farm call is $120 alone, so my vet bills add up fast.