The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   2 weeks rest and Chanti's still lame...any ideas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/2-weeks-rest-chantis-still-lame-83477/)

horsecrazy84 04-10-2011 05:49 PM

2 weeks rest and Chanti's still lame...any ideas?

She's been on rest for 2 weeks, and was on Bute for almost a whole week, the lameness was much better. She was trotting and loping up to the gate without a head bob, now the head bob is back and she's showing lameness exactly as before. She's lame on the right side but after carefully watching her I saw, and hubby saw too, that she's not bobbing her head down, but up, to indicate the soreness is in her rear leg. I still think there's soreness in her shoulder because she turns slower on that side, but she was more sensitive to her right hip being pressed on, and that rear leg was stiffer than the left rear. Hubby hopped on her bareback while I had her on the lunge line and she did great, just stood there as usual, but within seconds of him getting on she took a few steps back real quick, not sure if she was getting ready to buck, or if something spooked her. But hubby got off then got back on after putting her next to a stump, and she didn't do anything that time and acted like her self.
So I guess more rest and I might as well forget about showing at all.
I am just aggravated because it seems like she's always lame and I don't want to sell her but I'd really love to have a horse I can ride too but we can't afford to buy another horse and have one that sits in a pasture and does nothing.
On the back right leg she has 2 old injuries. One is an old puncture wound on the back of her pastern from when she was 2, there's a bump there and she was very sensitive to us pushing on it. When the injury happened she was lame for a little while but then it had never bothered her again. The other injury I'm not real sure what happened, but it's been there for a while. On the front of the cannon bone there's a little bump that extends down about 3 inches or so.
When I took her to the vet she didn't check the back legs, just that right shoulder and she saw shoulder pain but her head bobbing up rather than down when that rear leg comes down tells me it's in the rear leg.
I just don't know what to do anymore with her. I still don't think it's EPM, she shows no symptoms of it.

horsecrazy84 04-11-2011 10:23 PM

Ok, nevermind. Glad it was more of a rant thread rather than actually needing help.

cakemom 04-12-2011 12:54 AM

P
Posted via Mobile Device

cakemom 04-12-2011 12:56 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

cakemom 04-12-2011 03:27 AM

Dont know why it keeps doing that. Has she been seen by the chiro?
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 04-12-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazy84 (Post 994745)
Ok, nevermind. Glad it was more of a rant thread rather than actually needing help.

Never mind what?

I am not sure I get the head up meaning it has to be a back end lameness.

If you have followed the prescribed treatment of your vet and your horse is not getting better why not call the vet and discuss other options?

I know from experience that it does get very frustrating when your horse seems to be lame at all the wrong times. I am sorry you are going through that.

whiskeynoo 04-12-2011 08:02 AM

How about getting an x-ray done, I've recently went through the stress of having a lame horse and it really is a frustrating experience so you have my sympathies and i hope you're horse gets better soon.

bubba13 04-12-2011 03:22 PM

I'm totally lost on this thread.
Guessing a lot of posts have been deleted?

I'd take her back to the initial vet or better yet get a second opinion elsewhere. Did the first vet do an extensive diagnostic workup? Radiographs and ultrasounds? Sounds like a soft tissue injury to me, and you need a lameness expert to evaluate it. What does your farrier think?

horsecrazy84 04-12-2011 04:22 PM

No, the vet suspected EPM after just watching her walk and trot, she did the tail pull test at a trot and she was weaker on the right side, but she said she also thought there was something going on with that right shoulder but she didn't check her back leg at all, do a flex test,etc. I read somewhere a long time ago if the horse bobs their head UP, it indicates a rear leg lameness, bobbing down indicates front leg lameness. When we pressed around her hip she semed a little touchy and also when we pressed around her fetlock where an old scar is she seemed more touchy there too.
We haven't been able to get a farrier out because the one guy we called that we had never heard of, said he was booked and he wasn't even sure when he would be available. I know my old farrier said he would do it and he knows a lot about horses and he's awesome with them, but he's gone working on the boats so I don't know when he'll be able to do it and I'm trying to find another guy who does it in southern MO. So there's no farrier yet.
She lopes good, she was even bucking around and running loose without any problem the other day. There was no heat anywhere, she just moved like that hip was stiffer. I'll try to get another video.

I don't think the vet I used before can even do X-rays, she's not set up for horses,really. She can do quite a bit but she's more a small animal vet. The equine center is NOT getting my business...ever, so I'll have to call and see if the other crappy small animal vet can do x rays on horses. I really dislike that guy though but he's really our only option. We don't have any chiropracters around here.

bubba13 04-12-2011 04:25 PM

I don't know where in northern AR you are, but I'm no SW MO and know plenty of good equine vets here...might be a few hour drive for you, but it'd sure be worth it to have a better answer. PM me if you want references for vets near the Springfield area....