The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I think we're over the worst *Lenox* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-think-were-over-worst-%2Alenox%2A-83490/)

equiniphile 04-10-2011 07:22 PM

I think we're over the worst *Lenox*

7 Attachment(s)
Some of you know of the mounting problems Lenox had when we got her in November. She would bolt as soon as you mounted her, despite my efforts at working with her in a round pen. Well, today, my mom and I were getting ready to go for a ride, and I took Lenox outside to mount her. I kept the inside rein shorter so her head came around, patted her on the block for a little, then put my foot in the stirrup and got on. All she did was walk forward a few steps, which was quickly corrected with a backup, and she got lots of praise :D.

On trail, she was great! She only spooked twice: Once at this huge boulder 3 of my 4 spook at, and a second time at the two horses in a pasture way behind out house. Both times, she just sidestepped a little, nothing more.

I quickly found her favorite gait--trot! Her walk is freaking powerful, dressage judges would love it--tons of impulsion and thrust from her big behind. When Arthur cantered, she would trot super fast, keeping up with his canter, and I tried to push her to break into a canter. I could tell she was trying, but she found it hard for some reason. I got her into it three times, and it's very different than what I'm used to :D.

Anyway, enough talk and more pics!

MyBoyPuck 04-10-2011 07:48 PM

Holy crap that's a long field!! My horse would die and go to heaven if we could gallop that thing. Sounds like you've made tons of progress. Nice to see people getting good advice and putting it to work successfully.

equiniphile 04-10-2011 07:51 PM

Lol, that's one of four fields behind our house! I'm so happy with her, she's doing very well :-)

MyBoyPuck 04-10-2011 07:56 PM

That's it. I'm moving to Ohio!

equiniphile 04-10-2011 08:07 PM

Haha. We're actually pretty lucky...we only own 7 acres, but behind our woods a farmer owns about 500 acres of fields that he allows us to stay on the perimeter of. Behind those, the park owns another 500 that they keep nicely mowed and gorgeous, and it's full of hills that are great for building muscle!

Hidalgo13 04-10-2011 08:09 PM

Ah lucky you! Happy things are goign well with her now!

MyBoyPuck 04-10-2011 09:17 PM

Just don't what I did last summer. Build up so much muscle in those fields over the summer, that you find yourself on a well tuned monster once the weather turns cool again!

equiniphile 04-10-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 993426)
Just don't what I did last summer. Build up so much muscle in those fields over the summer, that you find yourself on a well tuned monster once the weather turns cool again!

Lol. I don't think I'll have to worry about that with this girl, I don't think I could get her to take off if I wanted to!

flytobecat 04-10-2011 09:26 PM

That is so great. Lenox is such a pretty girl.

mom2pride 04-10-2011 09:45 PM

Love those flat fields!!! Would love that to ride in with my mare!!! BUT, I will stay in CO, thanks...I love it here!

Glad you are getting ahead on your girl! I LOVE those little break throughs!!!