The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   behavior problems with penny (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/behavior-problems-penny-83510/)

jimmy2100 04-10-2011 09:45 PM

behavior problems with penny

hello veryone we just purchased a horse from becker college she is a 8yr old mare qh on 3/25/11 just as of this week lately she has pinning her ears back in her stall when hay is in there or not one time she trned her rear towards the door also she has started to do this in her paddock now and we have to chase her to hook up the lead chain but she bluffed charged me 4/9/11 i finilly got her what can we do to try to change this because this horse is for or daughter who is 11 and will be using her in shows for w/t/c ps becker gave her medroxyprog on 2/25/11 is this wearing off her and this is why shes actin out the vet said she dont need it

thank you on this matter
the rennick family

Read more: http://www.horseforum.com/talk-team/...#ixzz1JAsSEpjt

jwells84 04-11-2011 12:36 PM

it sounds to me like she need to learn to respect you.. If you have a round pen use it and free lunge her, if she trys to charge you, make yourself look bigger.(maysure you have a whip of some kind in there with you) I prefer to have a long lunge whip with my when i lounge my horses, it's just kinda a reminder that if you attempt to hurt me, I can defend myself. Do not let her turn her rump to you... if she does push her harder then ask her to turn again.. Are you fimillar with horses or is this your first one?

Valentina 04-12-2011 09:59 AM

Find the best local trainer you can and have them work first with the mare then with your family to teach you how to "communicate" with the mare. You can not afford to try to fix this yourself - it sounds as if the behavior issue is escalating and your post makes it appear as if you've never dealt with horse issues before - so get professional help. Ask for trainer recommendations at local boarding barns which appear to have well behaved well cared for horses - do NOT try to "go cheap" with this solution.

jimmy2100 04-13-2011 04:36 PM

Thank you so much for the information and tips!!! I'm the daughter of the guy who posted our issue with my new horse Penny. We have free-leased a little POA pony for a year (last year), and wanted to finally have our own horse. Thats when we found Penny. All of a sudden she started acting up and we had no clue as what to do. Right now she is in a large oval 2 horse pen she is the only horse in there. We have to lunge everytime before I ride her. So far I'm the only who has ridden her the most. My dad and Insructor are the ones that I know have so far lunged her I don't know if anyone else has. She is very fast but hates to lunge. Plus she is not very fast lungeing. Thanks again so much for the tips and information,

Mackenzie

jimmy2100 04-13-2011 04:46 PM

Thank you Valentina we already have a Instructor/Trainer. She is working with us as well. This Jimmy2100's daughter the other owner of Penny.

Thank You So Much,
Mackenzie