The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Ticks and horses/dogs/and humans (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/ticks-horses-dogs-humans-8354/)

im4dressage 04-28-2008 09:44 AM

Ticks and horses/dogs/and humans

any ideas on how to keep Ticks off of horses? also, how do you remove them from horses/dogs and humans? (not me, but my mom has had 2 of them) Thanks!

Micki O 04-28-2008 10:25 AM

I started using Permethrin - 10 Livestock & Premise Spray on my 2 geldings last week mainly because of the ticks. You can use it on dogs but not people. I haven't found any ticks on the horses this week so far so maybe its working. Its suppose to last for 2 weeks. I'm using the concentrate that mixes 1/8 oz to a gallon H2O cause its cheaper than the premixed. Its suppose to do flies and mosqitoes too.

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-28-2008 10:27 AM

ok... from what I understand, its just best to get the tick OFF. The toxic stuff is actually in the tick's body not just its "mouth" so if you just pull it off when you see it you'll be better off than messing around trying to get it to "back out" or whatever those tricks are supposed to do. If the ticks head or beak stays there you can try to get it out if you can, otherwise it will come out on its own like a sliver. My kids have had a couple ticks already this year and more often than not the whole tick comes out.

My "technique" is to do it quickly. I have a pair of wide tweezers and in an all at once movement I just slide the bottom side of the tweezers under the tick (as close to the head as I can get)and "grab & go"! I think if you mess with the tick too much it will dig itself in.

I do the same with my dog...although we use frontline on him and he has very few he usually ends up with them near his eyes if he does get one. Hubby has to help with that to hold the dog.

For my horses is just use a flyspray that works on ticks too...then pull 'em when we see them.

Dr. OZ on Oprah was who I got my info from as far as pulling ticks.

Oh...yeah, We use regular bug spray on us humans. What ever brand I have on hand. I don't know that one works better than another. I like the stuff that goes on dry tho...I think its "off" not sure tho... Orange spray can.

FGRanch 04-28-2008 11:22 AM

I heard that ticks tha live on horses can't live on humans for any lenght of time? :? Anyone else heat this?

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-28-2008 12:29 PM

I don't know about that.
:? I thought a tick was blood sucking parasite just like my lawyer...they don't care where the blood comes from as long as it gets it. :roll:

FGRanch 04-28-2008 12:34 PM

Haha Duma's you are funny! :D

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-28-2008 12:36 PM

:wink:

im4dressage 04-28-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl
I don't know about that.
:? I thought a tick was blood sucking parasite just like my lawyer...they don't care where the blood comes from as long as it gets it. :roll:

Thanks for making me smile, very funny!

PoptartShop 04-29-2008 12:08 AM

Tweezers usually do the trick! :D
LOL Dumas!

Vidaloco 04-29-2008 09:03 AM

I don't recall ever finding a tick on the horses. I cut down all the trees that had ticks in them, that may be why. :?
On hubby and the dogs I either use tweezers or a cotton ball with dish washing liquid works but it takes awhile for them to release. I'm usually not that patient and go for the tweezers. The dogs all get Frontline so very rarely do they get ticks.
Believe it or not I've never had a tick attached to me. I must have bad blood :lol: I've had them crawling but not dug in.