The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How to straighten a tail? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-straighten-tail-83570/)

Citrus 04-11-2011 04:30 PM

How to straighten a tail?

I am growing out Citrus' tail for showing and have had it in a tail bag since January, doing the washing every two weeks, conditioning, drying and braiding it. But now, when I leave his tail out, even for a day, it is curly. How will I get it straightened out at a show? I will have to braid it the night before for traveling and such.... I am guessing to wash and dry it- he does not mind a hair dryer on his tail......

rocky pony 04-11-2011 04:46 PM

I've seen people use a flat iron on their horse- if you have one you could try it as long as you're careful around the dock...

Citrus 04-11-2011 07:28 PM

I do have one, but it is for my hair...already using my hair dryer on his tail :)

Arksly 04-11-2011 07:32 PM

Do you want it perfectly straight? Or is wavy okay? You could always just take the braid and tailbag out and leave it out for a couple of days and it should naturaly straighten out a little. It will likely still be a little wavy but it's usually still braidable.

Citrus 04-11-2011 07:40 PM

The horses we see in shows have perfectly straight tails.... I know most of them are fake, but still.....

faye 04-11-2011 07:46 PM

I would take it out, wash the tail and then wait untill it is dry completely before bagging it.

or I would just plait a very small section and attach tail bag to that.

Personaly I dont use a tail bag on my lad, he has a white tail but I found that whilst the tailbag kept it clean the weight damaged the hair and pulled it out.

Finaly if you must use a tail bag then a pair of straightners will work. Do NOT use GHD's as they will melt the tail.

Citrus 04-11-2011 08:11 PM

I am going to just buy a fake tail.... they are only $120- so worth it to not hassel.........