The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   PETA and horseback riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/peta-horseback-riding-83603/)

Puddintat 04-11-2011 09:29 PM

PETA and horseback riding

So being the way I am, I was just curious how PETA felt about horseback riding and this is what I found:

How does PETA feel about horseback riding? | PETA.org
How does PETA feel about horseback riding?

In a perfect world, horses would be free to pursue their own lives without human interference. Horses are herd animals, who naturally associate with large numbers of other horses, graze in meadows, trot great distances, play, and court. Domestication has certainly not benefited horses, as they've long been exploited as beasts of burden and are kept constantly constrained and only allowed to move about at the will of others.
When there is a respectful, loving bond between horse and human, then horseback riding can be as much an act of companionship and exercise as walking one's dog. However, just as we oppose the use of choke collars on dogs, we also oppose the use of whips, spurs, and other devices that cause discomfort and pain to horses.
With domesticated horses, PETA supports humane, interactive training. Horses are not equipment and can suffer from the heat, humidity, and overexertion. Horses don't enjoy constant work any more than a human being enjoys being forced to do manual labor all day long. Just as a dog can be housetrained in a positive manner, gentle methods can be employed to teach a horse to tolerate a rider on his or her back. PETA does not support training methods based on punishment.
We do not support keeping horses in isolation and believe that they are happiest when kept in social groups.

kitten_Val 04-11-2011 09:35 PM

I do think PETA is just an extremist organization. No offense to anyone here...

ChestersMomma 04-11-2011 09:38 PM

Makes sense to me. Unfortunately I've found with PETA that a lot of what the publish as there beliefs is rather mild compared to what they truly believe. I dpn't have the source so take this with a grain of salt, but I read years ago in an article that one of their higher ups spoke out against animal ownership of any and every kind.

I had a lady come up to my horse stall once (at county fair) while I was mucking it out and she goes, "Animals weren't meant to be caged and confined. Don't you feel bad for exploiting that animal for your pleasure and competitive gains?" I simply replied that no, I thought he was perfectly content with his lifestyle and workload yet she continued to go on and on. I wanted to fling poo at her...

Puddintat 04-11-2011 09:48 PM

Kitten - Yes, I agree, PETA is extreme.

Chesters - I heard the same thing. I do the same thing and take it with a grain of salt. =)

MacabreMikolaj 04-11-2011 10:00 PM

It's sad because with as big as they are, PETA could have a LOT of clout if they stopped being such extremist terrorists. They have managed to be the direct cause of SO much pain and suffering in animals because of their total ignorance, it's really quite pathetic.

The horseback riding is just one more thing where it's blatantly obvious they have NO understanding whatsoever about how a horse thinks and behaves, and still feel completely entitled to preach their opinion to impressionable youth and convince an entire generation that horses are somehow being exploited with their cushy domestic lives and human slaves.

I realize that horses cannot understand how "good they have it", but I have trouble believing if they DID that they'd opt to be "wild and free". My mares got run through a fence once, and I found them trapped being a snowbank, desperate to get home! They were tripping over themselves they were so happy to see me and follow me through a path home! :lol:

PETA could make a MUCH bigger influence if they stopped acting like such morons.

DrumRunner 04-11-2011 11:22 PM

Sigh,...Ohh lord..here we go again..

PETA are extreme, overly dramatic, only-show-the-horrible-part, complete IDIOTS! Whenever I see them with their little signs and tshirts I want to march right up to one, take their sign and whack them with it while yelling "and that's for picking on poor little kids at county fairs. I will now whack you again for being stupid.."

I could go on and on..BUT I'm not..this should get funny though because this thread has been "discussed" a hundred times..just my opinion :)

Shiavo 04-12-2011 05:46 AM

Totally agree with the above. PETA are nonsensical extremists that most of the time don't really seem to put any thought behind what they say or their actions. Saddens me a lot because so many people support them blindly without looking at who they are.

As a note to the original posted quote though, gotta say, I was quite shocked that that was something THEY had written. It almost sounded like sense! Surely that wasn't a PETA statement.

Alwaysbehind 04-12-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 994672)
I do think PETA is just an extremist organization. No offense to anyone here...

Well said.

kitten_Val 04-12-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChestersMomma (Post 994677)
I had a lady come up to my horse stall once (at county fair) while I was mucking it out and she goes, "Animals weren't meant to be caged and confined. Don't you feel bad for exploiting that animal for your pleasure and competitive gains?" I simply replied that no, I thought he was perfectly content with his lifestyle and workload yet she continued to go on and on. I wanted to fling poo at her...

I'd send her faaaar away frankly... :wink: I barely tolerate when people (with zero experience) start to teach me something I have more knowledge about.

Snowkicker 04-12-2011 08:43 AM

It always makes me snicker when tree huggers get eaten by bears.