The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sheath Cleaning. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sheath-cleaning-83609/)

Iseul 04-11-2011 10:54 PM

Sheath Cleaning.

Well, this'll probably be one of the oddest questions, but why does everyone say that it's one of the smelliest horse jobs there is? I'm not gonna lie, when I clean my guy, or any of the horses at the barn..it basically just smells like peaches? Lol
Other question, just for reference, is it bad to occasionally go in to get a bit off the closest (about 2 inches deep and less) part of the sheath without using water, baby oil, etc? I've done this with Dude a few times and he has no issues or complaints, just nods off, lol.
Anywho, was just wondering. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

DrumRunner 04-11-2011 11:33 PM

lol! NO, I haven't ever smelled peaches..that's funny as hell though..

I don't think it would be bad but be glad your horse doesn't mind..Hickory gets royaly P*SSED when I have to clean his..I literally have to drug him lol..I know it's awful!! but it's better than him not being clean there..and better than him hurting me..even if I give him a bath I'll squirt the water hose up there a little and he will kick at me..he desipses it..I don't know that he has ever had a problem with that area but I know he hasn't while I've had him..soo I just knida take it in stride and he gets a shot every few months so I can clean it..smh..peaches lol..

drafteventer 04-11-2011 11:36 PM

Bahahaha!
I literally laughed out loud when I read that you think it smells like peaches. It doesn't smell good to me.

I don't know about the other question, I just had to comment about the peaches thing. :p

RedTree 04-11-2011 11:44 PM

If your horse doesn't mind then theres no problem with it :)
The main reason people use water/ baby oil is to loosen it of not to hurt the horse but if your horse doesnt care I don't see a problem with it

Lol at the peachs though :P

Ayia 04-11-2011 11:54 PM

never had the smell of peaches, just good old horse, i now take my boys to the vet after having a nasty accident with red bull when i tried to clean his. So i gave up and call the vet when i want my guys nice and clean

Iseul 04-12-2011 02:39 PM

Lol, yeah, I mean..it's a -really- strong peach smell, but I still think it's peachy smelling xD
I'm not surprised no one shares the experience of peachy smelly sheath though, haha.
And that's good. He's kicked once, but was mainly coz Kayla was running around in the arena. I'm glad his owner taught him before I got to riding/working/cleaning him. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 04-12-2011 05:27 PM

I've never had a peach that smelled like that!!

lilkitty90 04-13-2011 10:22 AM

ahahaha i don't know about peaches... or horse.. my little stud colt doesn't have a smell really.. or at least not that i noticed. O.o

my biggest problem is getting him to drop = /

MHFoundation Quarters 04-13-2011 10:51 AM

I wish mine smelled like peaches...that would certainly increase his value in my book LOL!

Mine are well behaved for it, minus my daughter's 42" pony...our oldest stud needs a cig when we are done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iseul 04-14-2011 02:52 PM

I can't get Dude to drop without giving him about an hour brushing, lol. But, I mean, atleast I found a way to get him to drop. :p
I just don't like how it feels, otherwise I have no issue with cleaning him. I'm so glad he doesn't kick though, coz then I'd never be able to just tie him an go for it, haha. He'd be dripping sweat all over the arena if he tried to kick me. >.>
Posted via Mobile Device