The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Assisted births? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/assisted-births-83628/)

Shiavo 04-12-2011 06:05 AM

Assisted births?

Now, I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about here so correct me if
I say something stupid or if something doesn't make sense.

One of the members on here started a thread regarding 'marestare' (where you can watch mares that are close to their due dates via live webcam).
Now, I've noticed a lot of the camera's have a notice with them that say 'If you have a problem with assisted births don't bother watching'.

I'm not trying to start any arguments but I'm wondering:
Why might people have a problem with this?
What are the pros and cons of both?

mbender 04-12-2011 06:45 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with an assisted birth. Sometimes its necessary. Depends on the birthing process. A mare or foal or both can die without help. Most likely a mare is able to foal on her own. But it may be necessary for us to help. I did with a 1st time mare. But I just stayed behind her and helped to clear the sac away from the foals nose as it wasn't breaking fast enough. Other than that, I stayed back. Foal was half in and half out and I wanted to make sure the mare didn't freak out when she realized the baby was back there.

Stayed calm and talked to the mare. Helped her to stay calm and everything went well. I also tied up her placenta to make sure she didn't step on it. All of it is for safety reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shiavo 04-12-2011 09:12 AM

I'm confused though, why would anyone have an issue with someone trying to 'save' or 'help' their pet if they're struggling and potentially putting themselves or their baby at risk?

Speed Racer 04-12-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiavo (Post 995064)
I'm confused though, why would anyone have an issue with someone trying to 'save' or 'help' their pet if they're struggling and potentially putting themselves or their baby at risk?

Because assisting such a large animal as a horse can look rough and abusive. Doesn't mean that's what's happening, just how it appears. Pulling a foal can look absolutely horrifying if you've never seen it happen.

NdAppy 04-12-2011 09:27 AM

Because there are people that just in and pull foals out before there is a need to. They don't give the mares a chance to foal on their own. As soon as there is a enough leg for them to grab they are in their yanking away.

Shiavo 04-12-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy
Because there are people that just in and pull foals out before there is a need to. They don't give the mares a chance to foal on their own. As soon as there is a enough leg for them to grab they are in their yanking away.

Oh, that sounds...kinda dangerous to both horsey lives :shock:
I'd have thought people would only step in if they absolutely have to!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer
Because assisting such a large animal as a horse can look rough and abusive. Doesn't mean that's what's happening, just how it appears. Pulling a foal can look absolutely horrifying if you've never seen it happen.

I did manage to infact catch a 'goat birth' on mare stare (not the same thing I know) and when the owner was in there yanking on the legs, I do have to admit, I was glad I wasn't ALSO on webcam or they would have seen my jaw on the floor and the....'seeming' horror of it all (cute little healthy kid though :D ) . Couldn't imagine seeing the same thing horse size!!

Speed Racer 04-12-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiavo (Post 995079)
Oh, that sounds...kinda dangerous to both horsey lives :shock:
I'd have thought people would only step in if they absolutely have to!

That's supposed to be how it works, but some people jump the gun. Yes, to the detriment of both mother and foal.

NdAppy 04-12-2011 09:39 AM

Which is really sad.

Granted, there are mares that do need help, but I don't think there are as many that need assistance as what we see receiving assistance...

mbender 04-12-2011 10:13 AM

Yes. And for mare stare videos, its mainly to just make sure everything is going the way it should.
Posted via Mobile Device

Super Nova 04-12-2011 10:42 AM

Well what you see on cam is not always what is taking place...........I would rather see someone help 5 minutes early than 5 minutes late......for as many of those that help too soon there are those that wait to long.........I've watched as mares struggle....helpless........when the mare owner should be going in and doing a presentation check and make the necessary corrections to re position the foal so the mare can deliver.

Having been through a very difficult foaling........with my daughter and I pulling with all our might and needing to call in reinforcements son and hubby were the ones that eventually pulled the foal out.....took 45 minutes.......and we had a slightly dummy foal......luckily for use she made a full recovery.

Super Nova