The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Building muscles on the hindquarters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/building-muscles-hindquarters-83653/)

SorrelHorse 04-12-2011 12:59 PM

Building muscles on the hindquarters

So Rebel just got done with the chiropractor, and I'm absolutely in LOVE with this man for what he did for him.

He was absolutely amazing, and now Rebel is faster, can turn tighter around a barrel, pivot on his haunches and forehand without even the slightest resistance. I guess he just wasn't feeling up to par before!

But now I face a dillemma: The chiro says he needs to build his hindquarters. I'm really not good and building muscle fast. Normally I just ride off and do all the excercises for my reiners and barrel horses without a second thought and they all muscle out nicely.

However, Rebel's a bit older and a touch sunk in. The vet and chiro think he can get the muscle back though with work.

So, other than the normal barrel schooling, is there anything else I can do to build his hind end muscles?

highlander 04-12-2011 06:35 PM

Do you have any steepish hills? Do reining horses work on a contact? as in english riding the way forward would probably to do loads of hill work on a contact and get them really working from the back end. I don't know if this is any help at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 04-13-2011 01:23 PM

Alright, I'll start taking him out behind the house. I go on a lot of trail rides with all my horses....I guess it's just time to take the steeper path lol

highlander 04-13-2011 02:17 PM

I'm sure he'll love you for that!
Posted via Mobile Device

mlkarel2010 04-13-2011 06:03 PM

If you keep him nice and collected and rounded in the back and just do a TON of trotting and maybe some loping you'll get those hindquarters built up. You need to have that round shape though so he'll really step under himself with his hindquarters and give those muscles a good thorough working! You'll be amazed by what you see, that's what I've done and even I was surprised by the results!

Hills are good too, but with collection you can go for a lot longer. I'd recommend a combination of the two.