The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English Tack Questions... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-tack-questions-83738/)

Chele11 04-13-2011 01:37 AM

English Tack Questions...

I have a fleece pad (bought brand new) that has these little - straps? on it, that I presume hook onto something but IDK what/where/how. Help?

Also, how do I know if the pad is thick enough for Chili? How often should it be washed? She got it FILTHY the first ride!!

I dunno how to measure for riding boots. I wear a size 8 shoes/boots. No clue on width except to say regular-slightly wide. My calves are solid muscle and but I have no idea how to measure them for boots. Help?

What kinda oil do I use to keep the saddle supple? I heard Murphy's Oil is ok but didn't wanna use something like that on any saddle without finding out first!

Jumpergal101 04-13-2011 02:32 AM

There are typically two straps on a pad. The one on the bottom, you slip the girth through and the ones on the top side will usually attach to the billet straps. It's used to keep the pad from slipping around while riding.

Usually I use a half pad on my horses but all of them have pretty prominent withers and I ride quite often and usually it's jumping. However, I depends on you want for the comfort level of your horse. I prefer half pads. What type of saddle pad do you have?

As far as it getting washed, it's going to get filthy after a few rides. It really depends on the weather. So for instance, my horses will sweat quite a bit during the summer so I'll wash them once a week. Just depends on when you want to clean it.

Again, depending on what type of riding you'd do, I'd more then likely go and get some half chaps with some paddock boots if you are planning to do just pleasure. I prefer Ariats because they last forever, as far as half chaps, just hop over to a tack shop. You can usually try on everything there, so instead of measuring and ordering, you can get a feel for it on you instead of guessing. I wouldn't recommenced tall boots unless you plan on showing because at times they get a bit expensive depending on what you look at.

Chele11 04-13-2011 02:38 AM

I dunno what kinda pad it is. I'll take some photos tomorrow and upload 'em. the straps are in the very front, slightly to each side of the gullet. The pad is the same shape as a saddle, but bigger.

Unfortunately, there aren't ANY tack shops to "hop" to around here. The closest ones are Western shops and other than that, I dunno if any English tack shops are even in the bigger city an hour away - where we used to live. I'll have to check for next time we're there.

So, paddock boots. I'll see if there are any on Ebay. Half Chaps - I've seen those quite a bit on here and other forums.

Thanks!

Jumpergal101 04-13-2011 02:47 AM

Those ones by the gullet will go to the billet straps and attach to those. I've seen so many different ways for them to attach some from velcro that you wrap around the straps to ones with just loops that you attach.

If you have to order online, most sites should have a measurement chart to them. I'm a huge ariat lover and I know they have charts on there. There are tons of different types of half chaps, so pick the one you think will fit the activity you will be doing best.

You're welcome!

luvs2ride1979 04-14-2011 08:16 AM

Get Passier Lederbalsam. It's the best saddle conditioner I have used. Use it no more than once a month. I apply it with my hands. Your body temp warms the conditioner and helps it soak in better. It also makes your skin oh so soft and it smells great ;-).
Browsing Store - Passier Lederbalsam Leather Conditioner

Belvoir Conditioner is a good conditioner to use between deep conditionings if you live in a dry climate or find you have to clean your saddle more often.
Browsing Store - Hydrophane Leather Dressing - 17oz

To clean my tack, I use Lexol leather cleaner. It's easy to use and works well. Just pour a little on a wet sponge and rub in circular motions over the leather until you run out of suds, then repeat. Wipe the saddle down when your done, then apply your conditioners.
Browsing Store - Lexol Leather Cleaner Spray - 16 oz. spray

The top strap on a pad usually has velcro or a loop. It's to go around the first saddle billet. The bottom strap at the end of the flap is to put your girth through. Those white fleece pads don't provide any real cushion and are a PITA to keep clean. They are really just "show pads." I would use a baby pad underneath, or just buy a square pad to use. You can wash it often, just double rinse it if you use bleach, don't use fabric softener, and hang it to dry. Use a dog "slicker brush" (metal teeth) to fluff up the fleece after it dries.
Browsing Store - Roma Baby Pad - Black
Browsing Store - Neo Fashion All Purpose Saddle Pad
Browsing Store - Roma Quilted Two Tone All Purpose Saddle Pad

If you want real cushion, invest in any of the following pads. They're not cheap, but they truly absorb shock and cushion the horse's back.
Browsing Store - Thinline Contour Saddle Pad
skito (their Interpad is most affordable)
Half Pads - Supracor Hunter-Jumper Cool Grip Pad - you want the "long" size

I don't know much about these saddle pads, but they look promissing.
Dover Saddlery | Traumatech Therapeutic Pad . - You want the XL size
OV AcuGel Half Pad and Half Pads | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM
Cavallo's Therapeutic Saddle Pad English Pad NEW | eBay

About that last pad on eBay: Horse Saddle Pads - English All Purpose | Cavallo

Chele11 04-14-2011 10:09 AM

Luvs - Thank you for all the links! Much appreciated.

Alwaysbehind 04-14-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumpergal101 (Post 996254)
There are typically two straps on a pad. The one on the bottom, you slip the girth through and the ones on the top side will usually attach to the billet straps. It's used to keep the pad from slipping around while riding.

That is really four straps, two per side.

Chele11 04-14-2011 10:45 AM

This one has 2 straps. There is no velcro - just, slits. I have photos but it's taking forever to upload things to my Picasa account. I have high speed internet but it's the slowest form of high speed. LOL

Spastic_Dove 04-14-2011 10:50 AM

You slip the billet through the strap.

So put the pad on then the saddle. Bring the strap back towards your saddle and slip the billet through (I normally use the middle billet) then attach your girth. (Which will go up through the horizontal strap at the bottom of your pad).

Alwaysbehind 04-14-2011 10:55 AM

So your saddle pad has the one that is shown in the middle of the skirt area on this photo, not the one at the bottom of the skirt?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg