The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Do I really need a 4x4 truck?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/do-i-really-need-4x4-truck-83753/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-13-2011 08:26 AM

Do I really need a 4x4 truck??

So I've been looking for a truck to tow our horse trailer with and ALSO my hubby's 7,500-lb towable RV. So I know what I need in the way of engine, towing capacity, etc. We're looking for something like an F-250 or Dodge Ram 2500, something that could tow either without an issue.

However, I was also restricting my search to 4WD vehicles only, which really puts a strain on our budget (we're trying to stay close to $16k for a used truck with under 60k miles). Most of the ones we're looking at are at or around $20k. BUT the 2WD's that fit the bill are around our price range!

My question is...I'm afraid of getting stuck in a muddy field somewhere with a 2WD vehicle, which is why I was looking at 4WD only. Hubby insists that it's no big deal, if we need help I can always call a tow truck. My question is: in everyone else's experience, could I safely go with a 2WD without issue? It would certainly open up a whole other set of trucks I could be looking at in our price range, that's for sure!!

usandpets 04-13-2011 08:50 AM

Will you need to haul either in snow? When you take either, will you be staying on good roads like going to shows or camping in camp grounds? Or will you be going places where you could get stuck like back roads or camping in remote areas? Having 2WD can limit you but having the extra weight from either may be enough to keep you from getting stuck. Any reason you need one with under 60k miles? If it's a diesel, higher miles aren't so bad. Could you get by for now with an older truck and not so new of one? You could always trade up later on. Personally, I would opt for the 4WD. I also would rather have a functional truck than a pretty one that has all the bells and whistles. But that's just me. Of course I wouldn't mind having a nice, newer truck that has everything, but is it really necessary?

iridehorses 04-13-2011 09:10 AM

We don't get snow so that isn't a concern with me but wet grass or mud is a possibility and I've had to use 4x enough times over the years to be sure I had it when I bought my truck in January. It's one of those things that you don't always need it but you're glad you have it when you do.

Alwaysbehind 04-13-2011 09:32 AM

I would not get a 2wd.

It is amazing how easily the tires spin on the grass when you go to leave a horse show at the end of a long day.

And a 2wd truck handles horribly in the snow/slush/yuck. Very different than a car.

MyBoyPuck 04-13-2011 04:54 PM

Are you firm on your mileage requirement? I have friends with trucks up in the 100's who still have not had major problems. As long as you get a good mechanic to check it out, I'm not sure mileage is such a huge factor anymore even with gas engines.

I've only towed my horse once with my new setup and already has to use the 4wd since the ground we were parked on was a little soggy and we had sunk in a bit.

Oh yeah, so you don't get discouraged and start looking at 1/2 tons to save money, I went down a steep hill in my 3/4 ton and am very happy I had so much truck when we reached the bottom. Overkill = safe.

raywonk 04-13-2011 05:01 PM

I have a dewly 2w drive and hate it it will get stuck on flat dewd over grass. I have had to unhook and let some one eles get my trailer on the road for me before I could leave the show grounds. Ha Ha. Now I use to have a 2w drive with out the dewl wheels and it did better for me go figuer.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-13-2011 05:10 PM

I'm of the firm belief (thanks to my gpa) that trucks without 4x4 are useless. I've never owned a 2wd pickup. I'm also with Ray on the dually's, I've had 2 and though I still drive a 1-ton diesel its a straight side and I love it!
Posted via Mobile Device

eventerdrew 04-13-2011 05:16 PM

I have a 2wd 1996 Ford F250. While I have not had problems with it yet, it's still nerve-wracking knowing that it could get stuck

barrelracer892 04-13-2011 05:23 PM

If I were you I would splurge and get a 4WD. They come in VERY handy, especially in muddy parking lots at horse shows, snow, etc. My dad's 1500 is 2WD and if it rained I couldn't go to shows where I knew it was going to be muddy in the parking lot because we would get stuck. I got my 4WD F150 and it's no longer an issue. Just the other week when my aunt was pulling into my driveway when I was backing out I had to back down a slick hill pretty far for her to get in. I got stuck, but when I kicked in the 4WD I got out effortlessly. You never know when you may have to use it.

kitten_Val 04-13-2011 06:51 PM

Folks, don't you have a switch whether you go with 2 or 4? That's what I have in my truck (and it's old!). Hoofprints, go for 4. While 99% time you don't need it really (at least in my case), there is that 1% you'll regret GREATLY if you don't have it.