The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What is your favourite breed, and why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-your-favourite-breed-why-83759/)

Levade 04-13-2011 12:06 PM

What is your favourite breed, and why?

Mine would have to be the Thoroughbred! They are such honest horses, and they have an amazing attitude towards work! I love their long stride, their versatility, their speed, their agility, and the willingness they show when in training - they are just so obedient! They also make amazing outcrosses to almost any breed, whether to produce a riding club allrounder or a top sporthorse, you can't go wrong crossing to a good Thoroughbred. I love them most, of course, because they are in my opinion, the most beautiful of horses :D

I have one pure Thoroughbred, a young ex racer who I am retraining for dressage, named Piper, and an assortment of tb crosses. Here is Piper:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...mall/piper.jpg

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...0small/pd1.jpg

And here is a picture of my beautiful horse Fergus, who I lost to bone disease last year, he was only 8 years old :( He was the most talented horse I have ever met (eventing) and was a tb too, although had never raced.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...ski/fergie.jpg

These two horses have convinced me that Thoroughbreds are the way to go, if I am ever looking for another horse, I would always choose one! :D

lilruffian 04-13-2011 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well my favorite breed for the lonest time (YEARS) was the Thoroughbred. This still kind of are, however the Norwegian Fjord is sneaking it's way up there :lol:
I bought my first one this winter & LOVE her. Learned to ride on one as a kid and know several people around that own/breed them.
Technically they are a draft pony breed, however as they've become more popular some people have started to consider them more as horses (average height is under 14.2 however, so still a pony).

They are one of the oldest breeds alive today & on the whole are one of the calmest you can find. Honest & steady, though their biggest downfall is that they can be very stubborn & need to be started & trained properly to prevent stiff necks & mouths.
They might not be the fastest or most agile, but they put their heart into their work & will give you their all :-)
Another thing i love is that they all looks the same. They come in different variations of dun, but no white markings, no black, sorrels, bays, etc. Just dun & the manes are so fun to cut!

Katesrider011 04-13-2011 12:39 PM

^^Bella is a beautiful horse

Being biased here, My favorite is Morgan because of Kate, but any horse that's good to me is my favorite breed ;)

breezystar 04-13-2011 01:26 PM

I can never pick a specific favorite. lol

I like quarter horses, paints, percherons, belgians... and friesians.

:D

CecilliaB 04-13-2011 01:53 PM

I can't pick. But I really like the Baroque breeds, favs probably being Lusitano, Andilusian and Fresians. I just think they are so dramatic and bold looking. I hope to one day own or a x with one of these breeds.

I spent most of my childhood on Arabians and while they are beautiful and diverse they just aren't a breed I ever really clicked with. But I adore TB's and have owned 3 and will probably always have one in my life :) I'm really growing to love my little QH/appy filly and really admire QH's amiable nature and versatility.

SEAmom 04-13-2011 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arabians are my favorite. I lost my confidence after riding a friend's TB and got my confidence back after lessons on an arabian. The first horse I fell in love with was an arabianand I won hunt seat pleasure championship with him at our first show. I just love their personalities and curiosity. I think they're beautiful with their dished faces and flagged tails. They're extremely versatile, too. I now have a straight egyptian and he is the sweetest, kindest coming 3 year old. My 6 year old daughter can brush him by herself. She can go in his stall and he'll give her kisses and just watch her. He's very expressive and has tons of personality. Everyone at the barn loves him. Sorrry, I rambled, lol. So, that's why they're my favorite breed.
Posted via Mobile Device

DrumRunner 04-13-2011 02:45 PM

I love me some Quarter Horses..They are just good versatile horses. I love the look of a QH and absolutely LOVE their heads..Most have a good mindset and can do just about anything. They have been my favorite all of my life..and I don't think I could switch breeds..Although I do like a TB, Nikki has alot of her dam's side..

DrumRunner 04-13-2011 02:47 PM

lilruffian- that is sooooooo cute!! I just want to hug it!

lilruffian 04-13-2011 08:47 PM

^^ ha ha! Everyone says that! SHe's a total ball of fluff in the winter. Looks kinda like a teddy bear or one of those fuzzy stuffed horses you can get :D

Ladybug2001 04-14-2011 12:41 AM

528 Attachment(s)
Hmm, I'm not sure I can pick either. I've owned two QH's, two paints, and a draft cross... QH's were probably my favorite for a long time, but paints are probably sneaking up there.