The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Loops (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/loops-83766/)

MissH 04-13-2011 12:40 PM

Loops

Equine Canada Training level test 3 has loops at the working trot. What happens to the bend during this loop? Does it stay consistent with the rein your on? Or does it change like it would going into a wall to the quarter line/center line leg yield?

~*~anebel~*~ 04-13-2011 02:44 PM

The purpose of the loop is to show suppleness. So the bend will change with the bend of the line, ie the bend switches at each quarter line.
It is important to read the directives to see what is required in the movement to determine how to ride it.

Valentina 04-13-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissH (Post 996578)
Equine Canada Training level test 3 has loops at the working trot. What happens to the bend during this loop? Does it stay consistent with the rein your on? Yes Or does it change like it would going into a wall to the quarter line/center line leg yield?

Let's say the 3 loops start going to the right. As you come to the centerline (about 1 stride before it) straighten then as you cross the centerline step into (new) inside stirrup (to the left in this example) use new inside leg at the girth and squeeze/release on new outside rein. Horse should now be bent in the new direction - in this example bent to the right. As you cross the centerline again you repeat the process in reverse and the horse should be bent in the new direction - to the right.

~*~anebel~*~ 04-13-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentina (Post 996696)
Let's say the 3 loops start going to the right. As you come to the centerline (about 1 stride before it) straighten then as you cross the centerline step into (new) inside stirrup (to the left in this example) use new inside leg at the girth and squeeze/release on new outside rein. Horse should now be bent in the new direction - in this example bent to the right. As you cross the centerline again you repeat the process in reverse and the horse should be bent in the new direction - to the right.

You are talking about a serpentine, not a loop.

MyBoyPuck 04-13-2011 04:26 PM

I'll bite. What's a loop? I was thinking serpentine too. Regardless, don't you always have to straighten for one stride before changing bend?

~*~anebel~*~ 04-13-2011 04:29 PM

http://www.usef.org/documents/discip...LevelTest3.pdf

Movements 2 and 8

MyBoyPuck 04-13-2011 04:34 PM

Aha. So you would straighten one stride and change rein at X, and then change rein again at K? That is a little confusing.

~*~anebel~*~ 04-13-2011 05:06 PM

No, you cahnge bend over the quarterlines, as said in my previous post.

MissH 04-13-2011 09:29 PM

In the Equine Canada tests, you change at X, not the quarter lines - none the less anebel answered my question (thank you).

As for directives, if you can find them I'd love to read them.

Kayty 04-13-2011 10:45 PM

Sorry, trying to get my head around how you only change bend at X. So say you're on the left rein - you ride out to X in left bend/flexion. Then at X, you would have to make a sharp change of bend and flexion to the right, then when you hit the track again, change back to left.

Hmmmmmm are you SURE you change at X??? I have never seen the Canadian tests though, but I know the US and Australian tests have loops to X and the correct way to ride them is to change bend over the 1/4 lines. That way you're not making a sharp turn and change of bend when you hit X.