The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How do you get your horse to stop bucking? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-do-you-get-your-horse-83782/)

JoeyAndPacman 04-13-2011 04:18 PM

How do you get your horse to stop bucking?

Latley,My Fresian/Quarter Horse Gelding Joey has been bucking during Barrel Practice.And its ALWAYS after we turn the second barrel and heading for the last one.And what he does is that he stops,then starts to buck like crazy.And luckily I am NOT injured.But he just,bucks like CRAZY, as If I am a threat to him.What can I do to have him stop??? Or let me know what makes him buck like this?

Cali 04-13-2011 04:24 PM

Are you using a spur? Whip? What are you doing when he does this/right before? Are you positive he's in no pain?
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 04-13-2011 04:56 PM

If it's certain it isn't a pain issue, keep his nose from going between his knees and push him through it. Make bucking equal hard work. I do have to ask at practice are you full out running him everytime? Kinda sounds like he's anticipating getting what he wants (run) and deciding he doesn't want to finish the course just wants to have the fun part. If that could be the case only walk\trot your patterns and focus on having nice turns and take running out of the equation. When we ran barrels when I was younger we were only allowed to open them up in competition. I had a mare that would do the same in poles, she was a rip. I made her walk only (even at a few shows and yes we looked like idiots) and she changed her tune.
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyAndPacman 04-13-2011 05:06 PM

I use my legs and the reins.And dont worry,I do NOT slap my horse with the reins.I simply brush the side of him with them (:

JoeyAndPacman 04-13-2011 05:08 PM

I think I will use the trotting and the walking,Before the galloping.And Joey is not the kind of horse who would play during work.He is just down right serious when it comes to this.So I have no idea why he does this,Unless he's getting excited.I dont know.But I will try the walking (:

CJ82Sky 04-13-2011 05:23 PM

i check for pain. then i'd make sure you're not running barrels regularly esp at speed....practice comes from working at different gaits and not overtraining the pattern and MOST importantly, not running the pattern frequently. actually you should only actually RUN very rarely othewise you risk burning out your horse (which to be honest it sounds like what you did). back to basics, work on speed rating and on the training exercises for barrels rather than the pattern repeatedly - horses get bored with the same thing over and over and get burnt out just like anyone else.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-13-2011 05:25 PM

If he enjoys his job & is serious about it, I would really lean towards anticipating. Breaking it back down to basics will make him have to think a little differently and return his focus to you for guidance. You might also switch which barrel you start with so it's not the same each time. Good luck, hope you get him worked through it!
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 04-13-2011 05:29 PM

Is the second barrel a different direction turn than barrels 1 & 3? If so, it does sound like he may have just tweaked something on that side. Sorry, don't know squat about barrel racing other than there are three of them!

JoeyAndPacman 04-13-2011 05:38 PM

Your right Cj82sky.Latley,I have been worried about the times on my Barrels.I have three other horses so I will train them.Ti give Joey a break (: and to MHfoundation Quarter Horses.I think I should just fix on one barrel instead of all threee of them.Thank you so much guys!

bubba13 04-14-2011 10:25 PM

OK, I don't know what the rules are about calling people out here, but I hate to see people wasting time responding in earnest to what amounts to a troll.

Either you don't own the horses you say you have or you're just having loads of fun posting pictures that "look" like them but aren't them at all. And clearly most of what you've said so far is a lie. I see someone (either you or a moderator) already pulled the picture of "your horse" (actually someone else winning a big barrel race in another state, after I tracked down the image source), and now you're saying that Joey, who was first a Quarter Horse registered as The Phantom, is actually a Friesian cross gelding....

Joey the horse

Then why does one picture show "him" with a foal? Clearly it's a photo of a mare. And here is "his" other picture, listed as a Quarter Horse stallion, from a stock photo site: Black Quarter Horse Stallion, Longmont, Colorado, USA Photographic Print by Carol Walker at Art.com

It's really not cool to make stuff up and lie on the 'net, when it's so so easy to find out the truth.