The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Right way to fall (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/right-way-fall-8386/)

ILuv2ride 04-28-2008 10:38 PM

Right way to fall

I was riding this one horse Remmy, and he got angry at an other horse as i was cantering.So my trainer said i got scared and jumped off. I guess i did! But i fell on my back which really hurt!
Does anyone have advice on how to fall properly????? :?:

PoptartShop 04-28-2008 10:52 PM

Hmmm...maybe try landing on your feet? :lol:

FGRanch 04-28-2008 11:12 PM

Yah I would say landing on your feet would work best! :wink:

For some reason I always seem to land on my feet, I think it's becaue I'm a little more relaxed (or I guess we could say dense :lol: ) and I keep my muscles a bit looser so I end up on my feet!

JustDressageIt 04-29-2008 01:30 AM

I've heard that landing on the back of your shoulder and rolling is the best

PoptartShop 04-29-2008 01:30 AM

Same here, I usually land on my feet! Sometimes I don't though, like if I'm not really prepared for the fall lol. :lol:

myboydoc26 04-29-2008 07:00 AM

Re: Right way to fall

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuv2ride
I was riding this one horse Remmy, and he got angry at an other horse as i was cantering.So my trainer said i got scared and jumped off. I guess i did! But i fell on my back which really hurt!
Does anyone have advice on how to fall properly????? :?:

My instructor always told me that whenever yiou feel like you are going to fall just go ahead and do an emergency dismount. It works really well bareback :D And yes that is from experience. :roll:

ILuv2ride 04-29-2008 08:14 AM

falling

oh ty! mabey i need to relax some more.

travlingypsy 04-29-2008 09:38 PM

try and kick away from the horse so you dont get stepped on. I always land on my side like a limp potato.. then get up as fast as I can like what the heck just happened :shock:

southafrica1001 04-30-2008 08:28 AM

not sure if this applies to riding but i would have thought that landing on your feet could possible damage the ligaments, and tendons in your foot because of the weight and stress of hitting a harder surface. sorry just my opinion not sure if its true :oops:

farmpony84 05-01-2008 10:25 AM

supposedly you are supposed to roll up into a ball when you fall... Not sure who has time to think about rolling into a ball when they are coming off a horse... but...