The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   poco bueno (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/poco-bueno-8389/)

kerryk 04-29-2008 03:02 AM

poco bueno

I was recently given a 4 month old colt. he is a poco bueno quarter horse. I am ashamed to admit that I know very little about horses. this is my first one. He is very well mannered and I hope my ignorance doesn't scar him to bad. Is there anything anyone can tell me about the breed. possibly some tips where training him or myself.

FGRanch 04-29-2008 10:26 AM

Poco Bueno is a very famos well known QH. I have a grand daughter of his. Just google is name and tons of pages will come wth with informatin. :D

Congrats on the new purchase! :D

PoptartShop 04-29-2008 11:08 AM

Aw, congrats! :D I'm sure he's adorable. Be sure to take some pictures, I'd love to see him!

notorious_ 04-30-2008 05:15 PM

if you aren't too horse savvy. it would be VERY wise to purchase, or check out at the library, lots of horse books that will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know.

if you have enough money, it would be very wise to invest in a riding instructor, they can help you with your foal and they can help teach you more about horses.

also, most of the time foals aren't supposed to leave their mothers until about 6 months, is your foal still being fed mama's milk??

irisheyes12 05-19-2008 07:28 PM

I'd hope you wouldn't want to breed him but Poco Bueno is the major sire that carried the HERDA gene (hereditary equine regional dermal asthenia). Have him tested.

buckaroo2010 05-19-2008 10:09 PM

Aw i hope he doesnt have that what she said ^^^^ :?

steffanicgirl 05-20-2008 10:50 AM

Congrats! I have had many Poco Bueno horses, and I have always had wonderful times with them - they are very level headed, calm, and willing to learn. Work with him every day, expose him to many things (tarps, plastic bags, logs, bridges, ect ect ect).

farmpony84 05-20-2008 01:03 PM

Poco Bueno is a good line and as far as quarter horses in general go, it's a very, very versatile breed. Your horses body type and confirmation will kind of determine what discipline best suits him, but in all honosty, they (like arabs) can do just about ANYTHING.

I think you will really enjoy him. Don't worry too much about ruining him, just ask questions, lots and lots of questions, there is a book out there by John Lyons, it's called "bringing up baby". I found it really helpful...

Good luck!

irisheyes12 05-20-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84
Poco Bueno is a good line and as far as quarter horses in general go, it's a very, very versatile breed. Your horses body type and confirmation will kind of determine what discipline best suits him, but in all honosty, they (like arabs) can do just about ANYTHING.

I think you will really enjoy him. Don't worry too much about ruining him, just ask questions, lots and lots of questions, there is a book out there by John Lyons, it's called "bringing up baby". I found it really helpful...

Good luck!

I used that book with my weanling and it was wonderful. It's $14.95 from Amazon.com

PoptartShop 05-20-2008 05:20 PM

Pleaseee post piccies when you can!! :D