The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Ugh! want to jump! :@ (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/ugh-want-jump-%40-83897/)

JamieLeighx 04-14-2011 04:32 PM

Ugh! want to jump! :@

I just got my first horse 2 weeks ago , I have already been taking lessons for about 4 months (I stopped riding a few years ago) I really want to jump but when i set up a x-pole and get geared up for it i just cant! my younger sister is jumping 60cm and I really want to jump i just dont know what it is thats stopping me.
Posted via Mobile Device

rosie1 04-14-2011 04:45 PM

Its a confidence and trust issue, if you aren't confident jumping then the answer is simple, don't! I'm not saying don't ever jump but if you're nervous your horse will feel that and react to it. You don't want your horse refusing jumps which is very common with a nervous rider, remember that your his leader and captain and if the captain says somethings scary that's what he'll think! Keep taking lessons to build your confidence and start jumping within those lessons when both you and your insturctor feel you're ready. Don't worry if you have a passion to jump with time and patience you'll be clearing those fences in no time!
Posted via Mobile Device

CJ82Sky 04-14-2011 09:15 PM

take your time and wait until your trainer has you jumping in lessons before you jump on your own. that's the best way to build confidence and be safe! jumping too soon or when you are not ready can lead to disasterous results that may not mean injuries, but broken confidence can be far harder to heal than broken bones!

rosie1 04-14-2011 10:31 PM

Too true cj82sky!
Posted via Mobile Device

DrumRunner 04-14-2011 11:51 PM

Best Advice - Patience..It will come..you just have to gain more confidence and trust with yourself and your horse..Don't stress it so much..It will all work out.