The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What colour is this?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-colour-83906/)

Mtn Grrl 04-14-2011 07:18 PM

What colour is this??

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there - I'm new!

I'm glad that I found this forum 'cause I have a colour question.

I'm curious if this is a Bay Dun, a Buckskin Dun or Sooty or ... ? :?

Thanks for any opinions!!!:clap:
(pic was taken last year as weanling colt but you'll see the leg barring, ear tip, shoulder shadowing and on his face he has cobwebbing and a full dorsal right to the skin, as well as light guard hairs on tail.) He's just starting to blow his winter coat and marking are all present! *YAY*

Edit to add: He is a bit darker than what the picutre shows, you can see that the colour in this photo is pretty washed out.

McuesHiSierra 04-14-2011 07:25 PM

How BEAUTIFUL! Absolutely stunning! I do believe this is a Dun or dunskin horse. The "tiger" stripes aren't common but I love them!

lilruffian 04-14-2011 07:31 PM

I love how intense his leg barring is!
Just looks like a dun to me lol, prolly buckskin dun..

Chiilaa 04-14-2011 07:32 PM

I don't know as much as I would like to about duns, they tend to be a bit rare over here. However, I think your boy is a bay dun with sooty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McuesHiSierra (Post 998294)
The "tiger" stripes aren't common but I love them!

They are part of the dun factor markings. They are usually present in most duns, but not usually this distinct :-)

Mtn Grrl 04-14-2011 07:39 PM

I know, I'm totally not familiar with them but we do have a lot of Buckskins out here but I have never seen a horse with such primitive, strong markings has he has. And he was a THROW-AWAY!!! Bought for $50 from the meat man :( Even his little hernia is gone ... he's the package deal; good spirit, level head, smart and super sweet!
I can't wait to see his colour this year once he's completely blown out.
Bay Dun ... Sooty? Bay Dun WITH Sooty or a Sooty Dun .. is there even such a thing? LOL

Chiilaa 04-14-2011 07:41 PM

Bay dun with sooty.

Sooty isn't a colour in itself, it affects other colours. So all colours can be 'with sooty' but a horse can't just be sooty on it's own :)

Mtn Grrl 04-14-2011 07:49 PM

Got it!! :D

Poseidon 04-14-2011 09:19 PM

I agree with bay dun. Holy zebra stripes! I have never seen so many on a horse before.