The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   1st show of the season - pics (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/1st-show-season-pics-84060/)

MyBoyPuck 04-16-2011 09:33 PM

1st show of the season - pics

5 Attachment(s)
We did our first combined test today. Got 3rd overall. 33.5 in dressage!! Considering we've never broken 41 before and I didn't even get his best effort, I'm thrilled with that score. I don't have any video, but I have a few pics to show. I had an unusual problem today, too much horse. What a great problem to have. As evidenced by the canter pic where I was being popped out the tack, I had trouble keeping his energy contained. Again, no complaint here, love this problem!

I'm pretty sure we were sitting 1st after dressage, but my sweet horse decided to do an imitation of a squirrel during the jumping phase and we suffered time faults. Sadly I have no pics or video of the jumping because it was probably one of the most comical rounds of the day. He was warming up kinda hot and cold, interested, then distracted, then back to interested. I brought him up near the ring since we were next up and something set him off. He just starting spinning around and trying to bolt back to the trailer. Then they rang the bell to signal the start while we were doing our opening circle and he went into starting gate mode and tried to exit. Now, I normally work very late at night, so this whole getting up at 5:00am thing isn't really my thing. I was determined to make getting out of bed 4 hours early worth my while. I jammed my heels down, prepared to grab gobs of mane, and headed for fence 1. 9 fences later, 17 changes of gait, every executed release known to jumping, lines jumped in zig zag form, we got through it was just the time faults. It's a good thing they don't take points off for style. It was probably one of the ugliest rounds ever, but functional it was! Considering I haven't had a lesson in 6 months, I'm very happy with the day.

Here's the pics.

My Beau 04-16-2011 09:57 PM

I'm glad you had fun and did well!

Sounds like you had an exciting day and that your boy was raring to get going!! :)

Congrats!

Citrus 04-16-2011 10:18 PM

Your horse looks amazing!!! I love it when they are in show shape :)

MIEventer 04-17-2011 12:39 AM

Congrats on your first show of the season, and congrats for getting through! Great job on the dressage! WOOT WOOT!

PintoTess 04-17-2011 12:54 AM

Good work!

gypsygirl 04-17-2011 08:41 AM

great job ! =]

MyBoyPuck 04-17-2011 04:51 PM

Thanks ladies! Question for you all. I figure the only thing that is going to help Puck get more accustomed to jumping courses is to do it. There's another show in 2 weeks, but the elementary is 2'3", not the easy 18" verticals he did yesterday. I'm in a bit of a pickle. There are no more shows this year where the elementary division is under 2', so it's either slightly overface him or don't go. He jumps 2' at home no problem, but throw in all the distractions of showing and his green-ness and it might be an issue. I'm not really sure which way to go with it. Thoughts?

equiniphile 04-17-2011 05:00 PM

Awesome, good for you!!!

MIEventer 04-17-2011 05:34 PM

I wouldn't push him beyond his capeabilities at a show. Work on this at home, and graduate the boy from the 18" verticles. Then when he is ready and prepared and the both of you are comfortable with Elementary Height, then start to introduce Elementary comps to the both of you.

MyBoyPuck 04-17-2011 06:45 PM

The _itch of it is, I can't get him more used to jumping strange courses without taking him to shows. He jumps 2' to 2'3" fine at home. It just the added stiumulus at shows. Kind of a chicken and egg thing. I think I'll take him to a dressage show in two weeks, work on the jumping a bit and then do a 2' show in a month.