The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Stupid Barn Rules (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/stupid-barn-rules-84070/)

xXEventerXx 04-16-2011 11:16 PM

Stupid Barn Rules

I dont know if its me or what but every barn i go to there is always drama and bitchy people there.

Today i went to go see my horse and there was a clinic all weekend and they were done and the lights were off everything so i thought it be ok to lunge my horse but i guess i couldnt !! noone was in there or around but still not allowed. BS i say!!

Then the same person who told me to leave talked to me about shavings in my horses stall cause i asked if my horse could have more, he had maybe half a wheel barrel in his stall , the person said the shavings are there to catch urine and poop not bedding... so WTF do i pay 450 for they only put new shavings in once a week like man the barns i used to work at must have been royalty cause how much shavings we take out we have to replace....

And i dont pay for a blanketing fee cause i do it myself well the other day it was blizzarding so i called and asked to bring my horse in a few hours early and they made a big deal out of it...

Iseul 04-17-2011 12:39 AM

The only rule I think is stupid is our age rule. Every other barn I've been to/heard of has the age of 16 to be the age of where an owner/leaser can ride their horse without an adult present, but it's 18 at our barn. I could understand needing to have a competent partner, but why an adult? A 16 year old can call 911 on a phone just as easily as an 18 year old... :|
Otherwise, it changes around quite a bit from my experience...One month I'm not allowed to ride without an adult present, then my friend and I (both 16 at the time) were allowed to go on a trail ride while our BO was out and no parents were on the property, then we're not even allowed to touch the horses unless there was an adult present. :|
It just seems like it hops around to accommodate BO's mood toward us individually. *sigh*
Otherwise, I don't believe the rest of the rules are stupid..noting that all the other rules are also just common sense, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

starlinestables 04-17-2011 01:14 AM

I had like 5 rules when I first opened now I have like 2 pages worth! Stupid as they may seem... someone did something stupid which is why they are there.

About the Shavings... horses don't need a ton of shavings. More shavings=more dust. More shavings also requires more labor to haul in more and it takes a lot longer to clean. Not to mention if they spread their manure.. shavings suck the nitrogen out of the soil (turning it yellow) it also sucks moisture out of the feet. Unless, your horse is in majority of the day, gets sores or has sore feet, he doesn't need a "soft and cushy" bed. They've slept on rocky, hard ground for centuries.

With that said though.. if you are willing to pay for more you should get it!

Ali M 04-17-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlinestables (Post 1000536)
I had like 5 rules when I first opened now I have like 2 pages worth! Stupid as they may seem... someone did something stupid which is why they are there.

About the Shavings... horses don't need a ton of shavings. More shavings=more dust. More shavings also requires more labor to haul in more and it takes a lot longer to clean. Not to mention if they spread their manure.. shavings suck the nitrogen out of the soil (turning it yellow) it also sucks moisture out of the feet. Unless, your horse is in majority of the day, gets sores or has sore feet, he doesn't need a "soft and cushy" bed. They've slept on rocky, hard ground for centuries.

With that said though.. if you are willing to pay for more you should get it!

I second this, 100%. Some boarders don't know how much extra work it is to clean a stall with a foot of bedding in it. I know you just want your horse to be comfortable and happy and you're not doing it maliciously. There are some in my barn that will steal an extra bag or two of bedding after we leave for the day. Now THAT is not ok!

morabhobbyhorse 04-19-2011 10:26 AM

I heard that Eventer

I dont know if its me or what but every barn i go to there is always drama and bitchy people there.
I've had Sienna with the same BM for 3 years, one at a bigger barn and the other was a small one she started herself.
At the bigger one, there were always people who weren't the least interested in talking about their horses but rather, 'did you know so and so did this or that.' it was a new drama every day. Now I'm moving her to a HUGE barn and I'm already dreading it. I'm a friendly, gregarious person but I haven't the least interest in 'whisper, whisper, whisper stuff.
Oh and one girl who brought her horses said her saddles were out being cleaned. The BM let her borrow one of hers and we had to show her how to put it on. 5 out of 6 trips she never brought one of her horses in to groom, or ride, or do ground work with, anything. She would stand around gossiping and then she was the first to tell you what you SHOULD do with YOUR horse. And it's surprising how it only takes one before the whole barn is in an uproar about something. Everyday. I go to see my horse to relax not listen to that BS. My horse is usually very high energy and paws. Well that was the least of her bad habits when I rescued her so I let it go when I first got her. So she would go while I was in the tack room and tell her to stop. Or yell from 10 feet away, 'Sienna quit it.' Or tell me 'Your blanket isn't even. You didn't tighten her girth all the way without doing her arena stuff did you?' This from a girl I had to help saddle her horse. If someone misplaced something she'd say with THAT look, I know who took it. No I don't want to startanything so I'm not saying anything else. :-) I was so glad to get to that smaller barn and so nervous about going to a bigger one.

EmilyandNikki 04-19-2011 02:17 PM

When I eventually get my horse I will go out at times when the least people are there. Why? Because I am going in to be a vet and I know that they will all attack me with complaints, so I will have to avoid them. Because if stuff doesn't get fixed, it will be my fault.

Alwaysbehind 04-19-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXEventerXx (Post 1000422)

Today i went to go see my horse and there was a clinic all weekend and they were done and the lights were off everything so i thought it be ok to lunge my horse but i guess i couldnt !! noone was in there or around but still not allowed. BS i say!!

Then the same person who told me to leave talked to me about shavings in my horses stall cause i asked if my horse could have more, he had maybe half a wheel barrel in his stall , the person said the shavings are there to catch urine and poop not bedding... so WTF do i pay 450 for they only put new shavings in once a week like man the barns i used to work at must have been royalty cause how much shavings we take out we have to replace....

And i dont pay for a blanketing fee cause i do it myself well the other day it was blizzarding so i called and asked to bring my horse in a few hours early and they made a big deal out of it...

Your post does not sound like stupid barn rules but simply how the barn is run and that you did not check it out to make sure it fit your needs prior to taking your horse there.

Bringing your horse in early made not seem like a big deal to you, but I can see how it would be a problem for the barn.

And I doubt they bedded stalls totally differently when you checked out the place to board. That is their system for stalls.

mls 04-19-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXEventerXx (Post 1000422)

Where is the drama and bitchy people? I see you complaining because you did not get your way.

Have things changed since you started boarding at this facility? If so, you need to approach management with your concerns. If not, you need to understand you walked into the situation knowing what it was. Complaining then boils down to drama and bitchiness.

Cinder 04-19-2011 02:36 PM

At every barn there is going to be drama one way or another. Unfortunate but true.

Not all barns have rules, but in my expierence the ones that do have rules tend to be better. I've had a cousin going to a barn with no rules for years and listened to her ranting as the barn slowly got worse and worse every year. She eventually moved to a different barn because it got so bad.

Sometimes rules are for the best, no matter how bad they might seem.

morabhobbyhorse 04-19-2011 02:41 PM

In any weather below 20F or or a cold rain, etc. my BM automatically brings the horses in. To leave a horse out in a blizzard or freezing rain, etc. is poor care no matter how much you pay for your board. You shouldn't have to call, it should be automatic. Sounds like the barn is in the wrong business. And my panties can't bunch 'cause I don't have any on :-P