The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Making your own jumps (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/making-your-own-jumps-8408/)

luv2show 04-29-2008 05:52 PM

Making your own jumps

Anyone have instructions on how to make your own jumps, you'd like to post?

Thanks! :D

Emma7442 05-07-2008 02:17 AM

I love to stack up old tyres and put a pole across the top

I also use two barrels for cross jumps

Hay bales can be good but my horse just likes to run through them :)

Lc Performance Horses 05-07-2008 07:52 AM

I use barrels, and if you want to build a post, just a square peice of wood with a tall post screwed in the bottom and then you can sort the rest out after to put your cups on. Tires are a good idea though. So are stakka boxes cos they are cheap too and just put bricks or sand in to make the heavier, plus they are in bright colours too.
:)

My2Geldings 05-11-2008 11:48 PM

There is a book on eBay that actually shows you and gives you detailed descriptions as to how to build fences. They mainly cover basic ones, such as the ones you would find on a hunter course etc.

A friend of mine is in the middle of building her own. All she did was get the dimensions from the barn and used those for her own.

ox-tuff_rider-xo 05-19-2008 03:44 PM

This is instructions on how to make your own standards
http://lorienstable.com/articles/jum...uilding_jumps/

horseylover1_1 05-23-2008 06:39 PM

I use upturned 10 gallon buckets with something(i.e. wood, UV pipes) on top. I also use those little half-heart things used to seperate gardens, with something on it. Simple yet fun!

sempre_cantando 05-23-2008 09:30 PM

I collected a whole heap of small branches off of the bonfire heap and put them leaves sticking up, between two poles to make a brush fence. I thought my horse would be terrified of it as she's never seen a brush fence before. However, she gave it a little look but then jumped straight over it :)

luv2show 06-08-2008 12:53 PM

great ideas guys! Thank you.

I won't be using the branched though.. to dangerous. :shock:

AKPaintLover 06-10-2008 01:26 AM

[quote="luv2show"}
I won't be using the branched though.. to dangerous. :shock:[/quote]

It really depends on how you set it up, and the experience of your horse...We have a backyard jumper course that has all sorts of interesting things going on under the jumps. :)

chasin the dream 06-10-2008 11:59 AM

wel..you can make standards out of wood-or use cinder blocks or actually i use logs.and then get a thick stick across it.
im not into the fancy jumps because im just re-training a mare so i don't get too into it.

tires sounds like a good idea though! or even get like a bucket or something.depending on what you want to do you can paint them for jumpers or leave them natural for hunters.