The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   To buy, or not to buy, that is the question... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buy-not-buy-question-84088/)

horseyfikes 04-17-2011 03:09 AM

To buy, or not to buy, that is the question...

I have the opportunity to purchase a nice Friesian gelding...but am unsure whether I really should or not. He looks to be a medium to light Friesian and is for sale for only $2500. Normally Friesians go for $10,000 plus...He is 9 years old, well trained, 16.3 hands high and loves people...Help please?

mbender 04-17-2011 08:10 AM

If he's what you want and you can handle him, why not? I would take a vet or a person who knows the Friesian breed with you.
Posted via Mobile Device

SaddleDragon 04-17-2011 09:04 AM

I bet he is only a partbred. Or he has issues. 2500 friesians are usually scams or not advertised as what they are.
Do you have pics or a link to the ad?

gypsygirl 04-17-2011 09:07 AM

i would ride him a few times [and possibly have your trainer ride him] also have a pre purcase exam done to make sure theres nothing physically wrong.

horseyfikes 04-17-2011 09:13 AM

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1659482 - Lucky
That's the ad I orginally found him on...but after emailing the seller he's actually 9 and taller. He's a rescue for adoption, and I was approved for purchase, but she said I wouldn't have to pay until he got here...should that be a red flag? All I would have to pay is shipping cost, and it sounds like he's overseas.

My main worry is that he wouldn't be what was advertised and he and my other gelding wouldn't work well together...and that I wouldn't spend enough time with one or the other.

WickedNag 04-17-2011 10:15 AM

All purebred Friesian are microchipped so will always have papers available. SO if he is a purebred have your vet check for a microchip and you will know if you have a purebred. Sounds like one my DIL check on last year...ended up being an overpriced grade horse.

sarahver 04-17-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseyfikes (Post 1000813)
DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1659482 - Lucky
That's the ad I orginally found him on...but after emailing the seller he's actually 9 and taller. He's a rescue for adoption, and I was approved for purchase, but she said I wouldn't have to pay until he got here...should that be a red flag? All I would have to pay is shipping cost, and it sounds like he's overseas.

My main worry is that he wouldn't be what was advertised and he and my other gelding wouldn't work well together...and that I wouldn't spend enough time with one or the other.

This sounds exactly like a scam that was running last year, here are the warnings that Dreamhorse and Horsetopia put out regarding the scams:

Horsetopia.com Fraud Alert

Fraud Alert - DreamHorse.com - DreamHorse.com - Dream Horse Classifieds

Basically they offer a 'cheap' horse and all you have to do is pay shipping cost until the horse arrives. Which of course it never will.

Be careful!!

smrobs 04-17-2011 02:48 PM

I agree that it sounds like a scam.

equiniphile 04-17-2011 04:07 PM

Definitely. Especially with the name "Lucky"....someone's not very creative :lol:

Ray MacDonald 04-17-2011 04:23 PM

Meh, might be and might not be. Just don't pay a cent until you see and ride him. He could be a FriesianX and he isn't registered.