The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   QH x Appy mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/qh-x-appy-mare-84177/)

DakodiRose 04-17-2011 11:23 PM

QH x Appy mare

Hey guys

I'm just wondering whether anyone could tell me this, I do know breeding but am still unsure..
If I put an appaloosa stallion over her would I definatly get an appy foal? Also what would I get if I put a paint, or a palomino or buckskin over her..
:D:D

bubba13 04-17-2011 11:52 PM

No, no guarantees with an Appaloosa foal, unless the sire is fewspot (homozygous), and even then the actual pattern will vary dramatically.

Paint depends on pattern. Homozygous tobiano stallions will guarantee a marked foal. Not so for heterozygous tobianos or the various overos.

Palomino and buckskin each have a 50% chance of passing on the creme gene, which will dilute the base color. What is inherited depends on your mare's base color. And of course if she is gray, she can cancel any of the above out.

DakodiRose 04-17-2011 11:56 PM

My mare is bay, her mum was a chestnut and her dad was a bay appy like on his legs the spots were black and the spots on his body were bay.. ?? lol

bubba13 04-17-2011 11:59 PM

Wait, she's a solid bay from Appaloosa stock? Is she patterned at all? Was her mother solid? Do you have pics?

Chiilaa 04-18-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1001663)
Paint depends on pattern. Homozygous tobiano stallions will guarantee a marked foal. Not so for heterozygous tobianos or the various overos.

This isn't entirely accurate. Homozygous tobiano stallions will guarantee that the foal receives a tobiano gene, but that is not a guarantee of marking.

PintoTess 04-18-2011 12:10 AM

^^ I was thinking this as well

DakodiRose 04-18-2011 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1001677)
Wait, she's a solid bay from Appaloosa stock? Is she patterned at all? Was her mother solid? Do you have pics?

Yes, she's solid and no no patterns at all, he mum was a solid chesnut qh and yes and excuse how fat she was lol..
Attachment 61515

Eastowest 04-23-2011 09:27 PM

Fewspots AND snowcaps both are known to sire/produce 100% color and/or characteristics, even with solid non-app mates. Some appaloosa roans will as well, but its hard to tell by phenotype which ones.

Does your mare have mottled pink and grey/black skin under her tail, or on her udder? Do the "whites of her eyes" (sclera) show more prominently than average? Her front hooves look almost striped... just wondering if perhaps she inherited Appaloosa characteristics?

lilkitty90 04-28-2011 09:01 AM

my little colt had a Varnish Roan appy mom, and a fading black daddy. and sparta has NO appy characteristics whatsoever.
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5469783_n.jpg