The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof Abscess? Please help! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-abscess-please-help-84224/)

Equus_girl 04-18-2011 11:26 AM

Hoof Abscess? Please help!

Berdi has been walking stiffly for a couple weeks now. I noticed it when I rode her a couple weeks ago. She seemed to be favoring one of her front legs. I rode her again yesterday after having a 2 week break and she was doing the same thing. She is now doing it even just walking around her pasture. Not really bad - just a little off.

I am wondering if she maybe has an abscess. The only thing that is strange is I thought that when a horse got an abscess that they were so painful they wouldn't walk. :? I'm planning on phoning my farrier today or tomorrow and seeing if he has hoof testers and can check her out. She's due for a trim anyhow. If not and it worsens I'll call the vet.

I was just wondering if you guys could give me some info on abscesses and if Berdi's lameness sounds like one. Thank-you! :D

QHa 04-18-2011 11:34 AM

Stone bruised?

Alwaysbehind 04-18-2011 12:05 PM

If it has been going on that long and your horse is only a little off I highly doubt you are dealing with the average hoof abscess.

Think blood blister under your finger nail pain. They are not a little stiff they are just plain off.

It could be so many things. Stone bruise is one of the options. Arthritic changes, etc.

Equus_girl 04-18-2011 12:18 PM

I never thought of a stone bruise. Would it last this long though? I doubt it is arthritis as she has been fine all winter and it is actually warmimg up now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 04-18-2011 12:30 PM

Arthritic changes can suddenly look worse.

There might be a ligament lesion you are not seeing, thrush, etc.
It truly could be any number of things.

And yes, a bad stone bruise can go on for a while.

I am not sure I get why one gets on to see if their lame horse is still lame. You are the second poster to do that recently and I must say I just do not get it. You say the horse looks off in the pasture but you get on and ride anyway?

Equus_girl 04-18-2011 01:16 PM

No she was not off in the pasture until the second ride. At least nothing I could see. She had a two week rest and I took her for a ride. She was fine until 5 min. into the ride. Then I got off immedietely. She was favoring it in the pasture this morning. It does seem like it has something to do with the gravel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 04-18-2011 01:18 PM

I assume you picked her feet to make sure there was nothing stuck in there.

Is there any heat? Can you feel a pulse at her hoof?

Equus_girl 04-18-2011 01:28 PM

I picked all her feet out carefully. There is not any heat or abnormal pulse that I noticed but I will check again tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

mystikal222 04-18-2011 06:44 PM

Have you checked all down the leg for swelling,puffiness and heat?

Equus_girl 04-18-2011 08:33 PM

Yes, there seems to be nothing - it is really weird. I'm wondering if it is possibly the last trim - maybe her hooves aren't balanced properly? I dunno! I'm home from work so my mom and I are going to check her out again and soak her front feet.