The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   How can you show the lighter patches on a black horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/how-can-you-show-lighter-patches-84231/)

Phantomstallion 04-18-2011 12:46 PM

How can you show the lighter patches on a black horse?

Hi!!

I have been wanting to paint/draw a black horse but have no idea how to shade th elighter patches.

Help would be much appreciated.

Phantomstallion:-P:-):D:lol:

Iseul 04-18-2011 03:16 PM

When I do black horses, I usually use a lot of blue and purple shades.
As for the highlights, just "mix" (if you're doing it digitally it's the equivalent, just add some) White or light grey. You should get a decent colour for highlights.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phantomstallion 04-19-2011 08:23 AM

Thanks!!:D

Creampuff 04-19-2011 06:35 PM

One word: values.

If you're working in black-and-white (graphite/grayscale), use at least 5 tones of shading -- ranging from dark (but not pressyourpenciluntilitsdead dark) to light (minimal pressure). In color, using blues and purples (mentioned above) works well.

Check out Ric Druet on deviantART.com -- he does a lot of drawings involving Fresians (obviously black horses). You can get some inspiration from him. (: He's also very polite, and I'm sure he would answer your questions if you asked him for a few tips.

Phantomstallion 04-20-2011 11:55 AM

I can't ask 'cause I don't have deviantART. But I'll check him out.

Iseul 04-20-2011 04:40 PM

dA is free for a basic account(: It's great for making connections and getting constructive criticism, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

101horse101 04-23-2011 09:01 PM

Good posts, I have always wondered myself

cfralic 04-24-2011 01:38 AM

Start small and go big. Don't use black until the very end. You'll be surprised by how 'black' a horse that is technically grey will look. Adding new tints also helps add more dimension to light and shadow. Depending on the shade of black and the lighting you might get green, blue, purple, red etc blacks. Be brave!