The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Can horses have false pregnancy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/can-horses-have-false-pregnancy-84232/)

llamattude 04-18-2011 01:02 PM

Can horses have false pregnancy?

OK, I posted earlier about my mare urinating a lot. My next big question is can horses have a false pregnancy? Her teats are getting larger by the day and still urinating a lot, pregnancy would be the natural thing here. How ever she does not have a pregant stomach and if anything a little thin for my taste and we've been trying to put weight on her. We've had her for three weeks now no known history. The person we got her from got her at a sale a month before we got her. She is a great mare, but no matter what this is we need to address it properly. If false pregnancy well I don't know what to do for that, never heard of a horse having it. If she is I'm concerned about her weight, but don't want to put to much on her or foal be to big. Happened to me one time had a mare in foal the owner I bought her from was to keep the foal. She got her at a certain period in pregnancy feed her up to make a big foal and it damaged my mares hips forever. That is what the vet told us the reason for her odd gait she didn't have before and we were told it was because of the way she was feed.

Thanks
Karla
Posted via Mobile Device

equus717 04-18-2011 01:07 PM

Do you have any pictures of your mare. I would have the vet out to confirm pregnancy since you don't know the history of her just to be on the safe side.

JustDressageIt 04-18-2011 01:27 PM

Yes, definitely. One mare I worked with had a false pregnancy; she looked so preggo that we had not one but 2 preg checks on her - she even seemed to carry to the side. She bagged up, and even went into a sort of labor one night - after that, no hints of being pregnant. It was one of the weirder things I've ever seen.
Posted via Mobile Device

JustDressageIt 04-18-2011 01:33 PM

Just thought I'd add - urinating a lot makes me think possible UTI...?
Posted via Mobile Device

llamattude 04-18-2011 02:58 PM

Thanks all. Just want to get as much info as possible before talk to vet.
Posted via Mobile Device