The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Bay or Blue Roan? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/bay-blue-roan-84253/)

DieselPony 04-18-2011 04:22 PM

Bay or Blue Roan?

3 Attachment(s)
Can someone tell me what color my mare actually is?
I've always been told she is a blue roan, but I'm just not sure. Doesn't look like an actual black horse underneath the roaning.
Pictures are one from middle of summer as a yearling, one from middle of winter(actually Christmas day, just one without snow), and one from middle of summer as a four year old.
Thanks.

myhorsesonador 04-18-2011 04:42 PM

yes she is blue roan. A very pritty one at that. ;)

Frankiee 04-18-2011 04:43 PM

i also vote for blue roan :) and very cute !

DieselPony 04-18-2011 04:46 PM

Thanks!

So she is black as a base color then? The brown hairs are just fading?

equus717 04-18-2011 04:52 PM

I also think she is a blue roan. Nice looking mare to by the way.

NdAppy 04-18-2011 05:13 PM

Brown roan IMO.

Chiilaa 04-18-2011 06:12 PM

Once again, as ever, I agree with ND. Brown roan. This explains why she looks like a black roan, but still has red on her nose. Very gorgeous :)

DieselPony 04-18-2011 06:30 PM

So I was right in thinking she isn't black enough to be a blue roan?

Just out of curiosity, is there a possibility she is a fading black? Or whatever else there is that modifies black? Or is roan the only modifier a horse can have?
And that would be why you don't see palomino roans?

NdAppy 04-18-2011 06:35 PM

Oh there are palomino roans. It is usually just harder to tell the roan on their already lighten coats. There are quite a few modifiers that a horse can carry at once. :-)

As for fading black... she is brown. She is a brown roan. Not blue roan, not bay roan, but brown roan.

Chiilaa 04-18-2011 06:36 PM

You do see palomino roans, they are just harder to see since they are so light already :)

As far as modifiers, I think the only ones they can't carry is related to the KIT gene. Roan and Tobiano are on the KIT gene and so you can't have a horse that is homozygous in one while it carries the other. I could be wrong but I think that is it.

I don't think she is fading black to be honest. While her mane is faded, that can happen with any dark colour. Fading doesn't usually occur on that part of the face in my experience.