The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How do i get a good strong leg? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-do-i-get-good-strong-84254/)

JamieLeighx 04-18-2011 05:26 PM

How do i get a good strong leg?

I have really bad weak legs . I am trying to find a better trainer because to cut it short mines crap.

It would be really helpful if you could help me by giving me some excercises or tips to help me gain a strong lower leg and better balance.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 04-18-2011 05:33 PM

I'm finding some luck with trotting in 2 point. Not the cheating put your hands on his neck for balance 2 point. It's the holding yourself up completely as if you had no arms 2 point. I can't do it for long because it creates a serious muscle burn, but it does seem to be helping.

Frankiee 04-18-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1002577)
I'm finding some luck with trotting in 2 point. Not the cheating put your hands on his neck for balance 2 point. It's the holding yourself up completely as if you had no arms 2 point. I can't do it for long because it creates a serious muscle burn, but it does seem to be helping.

yes this is such a good exercise for your legs and when you get better at that bring your stirrups up eveytime it gets easier! you feel like a joky eventually but it helps so much and remember to kep your heels all the way down as far as they can go :)

JamieLeighx 04-18-2011 05:36 PM

Thank you i can only do it for about 5 secs lol but im definately going to work on it :)
Posted via Mobile Device

JamieLeighx 04-18-2011 07:24 PM

bump!
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 04-19-2011 12:26 PM

Riding in a 2 pt is an excellent way to strengthen legs! So is riding without stirrup. How often do you ride? the more frequently you can ride the better.

To REALLY have a good leg though it is crucial to do these exercises in the PROPER POSITION. Doing a 2 point all day in the wrong position won't do much to strengthen your leg. So first and foremost make sure your position in correct! As George Morris says, "practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect!" If you aren't sure about your position, post a few pics in the critique section, or better yet, a video.

MIEventer 04-19-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 1003837)
Riding in a 2 pt is an excellent way to strengthen legs! So is riding without stirrup. How often do you ride? the more frequently you can ride the better.

To REALLY have a good leg though it is crucial to do these exercises in the PROPER POSITION. Doing a 2 point all day in the wrong position won't do much to strengthen your leg. So first and foremost make sure your position in correct! As George Morris says, "practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect!" If you aren't sure about your position, post a few pics in the critique section, or better yet, a video.

Well said and so true! If you are not doing it correctly - meaning if your legs aren't in the proper position, you are training the incorrect muscles, and will only be going around in "circles".

JamieLeighx 04-19-2011 12:41 PM

Thank you :) im the only one that can work the camera so its hard to get a pic or video. Will i get pics jumping or what?
Posted via Mobile Device

JustMuckItxD 04-19-2011 12:48 PM

2 point is a great way...but what I have found in the past is..DROP YOUR STIRRUPS!

If something should ever happen, you should be able to ride without stirrups. Build those calf muscles! :)

Post without stirrups and use your calf to push yourself up. I felt so much better after doing this.

After a few weeks, I was jumping without stirrups or hands. (Of course, this was a very nice school horse!)

Just my 2 cents :)

JamieLeighx 04-19-2011 12:56 PM

^^Could you explain this in more detail?I just want to make sure I do it right :)
Posted via Mobile Device