The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Dry flaky skin, resulting in dandruff all over horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dry-flaky-skin-resulting-dandruff-all-84260/)

Prayingcowgirl 04-18-2011 05:43 PM

Dry flaky skin, resulting in dandruff all over horse

My horse has really dry skin. Every time i brush him a bunch of dandruff comes of. The mane, tail, and body have it. It looks really bad as it won't come of his fur. Is there any way to help this? something to feed him or some kinda shampoo??

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 04-19-2011 07:21 PM

Is it warm enough there that you can body clip, and/or bath him?
If you can I would suggest that for your more immediate "remedy".

Seems like with minis' thick, long winter coats, some just tend to have more skin issues. No matter how much you brush during winter, you just can't keep them clean enough. Irritants just seem to hang out down underneath all that fuzz...:?

Prayingcowgirl 04-19-2011 08:00 PM

I can't clip or bath him, It's not warm here yet. Maybe if we get a warm day i can. Thanks so much.
I will bath him before i try anything else, but Quick Question.
Have you ever tried olive oil in grain for this problem???
I've heard some use it, but i don't want to try something new without knowing a more about it. I will try the bath first, thanks. I won't be able to clip him until may. Thanks SO much

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 04-20-2011 01:37 PM

Well you are in the same boat as me then weather wise. I won't be able to clip or bathe for another month or two here either. We have not even made it out of the 40's yet. :-(

I have heard of people using supplements in feed, and Vegetable Oil, to help skin and coat condition, but I have no experience with that side of it at all, sorry!
Maybe some one else on here will chime in with some good advise about that....

Prayingcowgirl 04-20-2011 06:10 PM

Thanks so much. Not to be a pain, but I've been recommended Head and shoulders for him.. Is that Okay???
So sorry to bother you,
Thanks,

jyuukai 04-20-2011 06:42 PM

I agree that you can rarely keep a mini clean all winter. We used to curry the heck out of our mare and then.. vacuum her! With a shop vac! She loooooved it and it got alot of the dirt and dandruff off her skin.

Prayingcowgirl 04-20-2011 06:44 PM

That's awesome :)

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 04-21-2011 05:58 PM

jyuukai, the shop vac is a great idea, never thought of that! :thumbsup:
You'd be able to get quite a bit of that deep down dirt out of their coat.

Prayingcowgirl, has the person who recommended the Head and Shoulders ever used it on a horse?
I have never used it, I would be very careful about getting it in their eyes and around the mucus membranes if you do try it.
I used
Farnam Vetrolin® Bath Ultra-Hydrating Conditioning Horse Shampoo, very happy with it. :D
  • Rich, thick lather washes away dirt and dandruff
  • Protects skin and coat with protein-enriched conditioners, vitamin E and PABA sunscreen
  • Rinses out quickly and easily
  • Leaves coat shiny and manageable

Prayingcowgirl 04-22-2011 08:10 AM

Yes, the person did use it on her horse. I'll look in to both. Thanks, so so much.

jyuukai 04-22-2011 08:38 AM

Vetrolin is great stuff, and so is their shine spray. It's a conditioner and not just a shine-maker. Still, our mini had such thick hair in the winter that we couldnt get all the way down to her skin most days! lol she's such a piggy.
And I have to give credit where credit is due. I got the shop-vac idea off of a miniature horse forum that I frequent :)