The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Advice After a Fall (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/advice-after-fall-84295/)

SMCLeenie 04-18-2011 10:19 PM

Advice After a Fall

So yesterday I got my first fall from ridding, it was all my fault basically I forgot to tighten the cinch after warming up so it came loose, the saddle slipped sideways my horse spooked and ran strait for the fence, instead of stopping he turned and launched me. I hit my left side, cheek, elbow, side of my upper thigh, side of my knee and my ankle all on the metal poles of the fence. Luckily my sister was there to calm Gambit down, cool him off and put him away.

Anyway I have a few questions

1) I have heard that when you fall off a horse it is important to get right back on, I didn't because I literally could not, it hurt too bad. I'm not scared of him and I know that if I am more careful then there is no reason for this to ever happen again but do you think it is bad that I didn't get back on?

2)My cheek, elbow, knee and ankle are all swollen and bruised. My cheek less so than the others and my elbow very much so, I can't fully extend my arm. Also putting my full weight on my left leg is very painful so I haven't been. Is that bad?

3) Could this have upset my horse in any way. I didn't punish him at all because it was my fault and not his, we just cut our ride a little short but he won't have any negative associations will he? We were having a great work out and I am a little upset that it was cut shot.

Sorry for the mini novel and thanks reading and for any answers you have

Citrus 04-18-2011 10:25 PM

As a nurse I say you need to get your arm checked out.... broken bones don't always mean you cannot move the extremity..... as for the horse- he will be fine- they live in the now so he most likely will have forgotten about it.... as for you not getting back on, as long as you do get back on soon, it will be okay... just don't let fear keep you from getting in the saddle again the next time you have the opportunity.

SMCLeenie 04-18-2011 10:32 PM

Thanks Citrus, I forgot to add, my aunt is a nurse too and she checked me out, glad that G won't be upset and I'll be back in the saddle as soon as can be.

Citrus 04-18-2011 10:41 PM

Oh good!! On all accounts!! There is an old wives tale going around that says you are not a true rider until you have fallen off three times.... wink wink.

smrobs 04-18-2011 11:23 PM

I am glad that you were not more seriously hurt, falls are always scary things. In my experience, the worst you can expect from him is that he might be just a touch more sensitive for the first few minutes when you get back on. Most of the time, the behavioral damage is done when the horse purposefully threw you and you don't get back on. Also, there is no shame in not getting back on that day. Sometimes you can work through the pain and do it and other times you are too injured. All you can really do is get back on when you can and if you can't, then get back on as soon as you are healed enough to do so comfortably.

One thing that I love to teach my horses is to stop when I start to get off. If they are taught this well, then even when you begin to fall during a spook or another accident, then their first instinct is to stop moving their feet. It is a lovely thing to have a horse that will automatically stop if they feel you falling or getting too off balance.

tinyliny 04-18-2011 11:43 PM

Gosh, falls! So glad you were not serioulsy hurt, though I bet you don't feel so lucky right now. I nearly want head first over Mac's head today, so counting my lucky stars. Just another day in the saddle . . .

SMCLeenie 04-19-2011 02:15 AM

Citrus I have heard that too so I am a third of the way there haha

smrobs that is a good idea, I'll work on that

tinyliny yeah, I didn't feel all that luck at the time but after talking it out with my friends and hearing some real horror stories I definitely see how I was lucky.

Kentucky bluegrass 05-22-2011 03:54 AM

I'm new to this so bear with me, please. Just need some sage advice/wisdom. Last year I had partial right knee replacement and have recuperated nicely. Four months post op, my husband and I went to a ranch, and I rode everyday save one. Got stiff and sore but oh so worth it! When we returned home, due to excessive heat and a drought in our area, we didn't ride our horses for probably a month or two. I was so excited the weekend we had decent weather and we could ride comfortably around the farm. I struggled mounting my horse finally using a step stool and working clumsily to get my right leg over his rump. When I was on, out of nowhere came an anxiety attack. Never have had that happen in my life. I felt out of control and a fear of falling filled me
til I told me husband I had to get off. I know it's fear of falling on my
faux knee. However, to my recollection, I've fallen from a horse only once in my life in my teen years...showing off for a boy! Also, I realize I can't get off and on without a mounting block or stool. My confidence isn't there, and my horse knows it. Any advice o' wise ones.

AlexS 05-22-2011 04:40 AM

Sorry you took a fall, it happens to all of us!

In future you might walk him around and tighten up as you go, my horse breathes out and makes himself huge and it takes a bit of walking before I can get a girth/cinch the correct tightness.

To answer your questions:

1) No it is not terrible that you did not get back on. If someone is shook up but not hurt, they should get back on, both for the rider and the horse. You couldn't so it's ok. You come first.

2) No way to know, you should probably get yourself checked out.

3) You would not have upset him massively so that he would miss his feed, but he might be a little nervous next time you ride. He absolutely has feelings and memories, but at the same time, if you just do things you are comfortable with, he will be fine. He will not be traumatized the way that you will fear riding.

When you (your head and your body) are ready, jump back on and take it easy for the first ride. You will be fine. Sorry you had a rough fall, hoping you heal up ok and quickly.

Lobelia Overhill 05-22-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMCLeenie (Post 1003015)
1) I have heard that when you fall off a horse it is important to get right back on, I didn't because I literally could not, it hurt too bad. I'm not scared of him and I know that if I am more careful then there is no reason for this to ever happen again but do you think it is bad that I didn't get back on?

Getting straight back on is an old wives tale, supposedly if you don't get back on immediately after a fall you loose your nerve. It's nonsense... I've fallen off many many times and not gotten straight back on the horse - because I'd hurt myself when I fell off! You can end up doing yourself more harm than good by riding with an injury...

Given that you know why you fell off, then I don't see why you'd have any problems (aside from being a teeny bit nervous) next time you ride, and you'll be extra careful to check your cinch!

Quote:

2)My cheek, elbow, knee and ankle are all swollen and bruised. My cheek less so than the others and my elbow very much so, I can't fully extend my arm. Also putting my full weight on my left leg is very painful so I haven't been. Is that bad?
Any injury (particularly to your head) can be bad. a visit to a doctor would be a good idea to make sure you don't have any serious injuries that you can't see..

Quote:

3) Could this have upset my horse in any way. I didn't punish him at all because it was my fault and not his, we just cut our ride a little short but he won't have any negative associations will he? We were having a great work out and I am a little upset that it was cut shot.
Yes, it might have, my horse got upset when I fell off (and hurt myself and couldn't ride for a few weeks), when you get back on, take your time and don't do anything too "energetic", just moseying around in walk on a long rein is fine, until both of you get comfortable with the idea of riding again.

good luck!