The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   what do you guys think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-do-you-guys-think-84334/)

RickDalton10 04-19-2011 08:37 AM

what do you guys think?

This morning my horse was spooked by something in his stable and jumped over the gate cutting himself on a hanging nail in the process, it's more of a long cut than a deep one, my uncle advised me to use something called wound powder and give him a shot of Penicillin but the vet says the shot is not necessary, what do you guys think?

MHFoundation Quarters 04-19-2011 08:49 AM

Where is the cut located? How long, wide? Was the nail rusty?

dee 04-19-2011 08:50 AM

I agree with your vet. Clean the wound thoroughly and leave it alone - except maybe to shave around it if possible. Wound powder is usually just to stop the bleeding from what I understand. Antibiotics have been so overused that they are nearly useless these days. Horses tend to heal in spite of what we try to do for them, rather than what we do for them.

This is assuming that the wound is indeed minor, of course.

RickDalton10 04-19-2011 09:19 AM

@MHFoundation Quarters, it's located on his right front leg and it's about 6 inches long and blood trickles down his leg as he takes a step but he isn't limping.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-19-2011 09:39 AM

If it isn't gaping open, I'd do some wonder dust for the bleeding until it stops. Then some Underwoods or nitrafurazone ointment until it heals. Clean it and redress it a couple times a day until it isn't open. If the nail was rusty, if he hasn't already had one I would give him a tetanus shot. I agree with the vet & Dee that antibiotics aren't necessary.

RickDalton10 04-19-2011 10:44 AM

alright I'll give it a try! thanks MHFoundation Quarters and Dee for your help!

bubba13 04-19-2011 12:36 PM

He is up to date on his tetanus vaccinations, correct?

CecilliaB 04-19-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1003933)
He is up to date on his tetanus vaccinations, correct?

What Bubba said. I am not a fan of dusts, never had much success with them. My gelding had a very nice 10" gash from his stifle up along his hip. Not so deep it needed stitches but it needed tending. I washed it every am and put an antibacterial ointment on it. I like ointments and salve because the keep the skin supple :)

RickDalton10 04-19-2011 07:12 PM

I believe he is up to date with his shots but I'll double check to be sure, I just moved him to our ranch over a week ago so I'm not really sure.

totalfreedom 04-19-2011 07:59 PM

I don't know how good vetericyn works on deep wounds. But on small one's I've really been pleased with it. It's a bit pricey but it works nicely.