The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Cribbing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/cribbing-8439/)

Twinmommyrice 04-30-2008 12:04 PM

Cribbing

My horse Annie is a Quarter Horse. She keeps cribbing and her teeth are almost gone and shes losing weight. I really dont want to have to put her down. We have tried everything. Can you please give me some suggestions on how to keep her from biting on everything?? Thanks so much!

JustDressageIt 04-30-2008 12:42 PM

You can try a Miracle Collar or a similar cribbing collar. Paint any surface she cribs on with foul-tasting substances. You can try feeding her little and often, as many horses crib out of sheer boredom.
In reality though, die-hard cribbers find a way to crib regardless of what you do. Best of luck though!

Twinmommyrice 04-30-2008 12:55 PM

Thanks. She has been cribbing for 2 years and had about every collar.... Do you know anything about the surgery that can be done?

JustDressageIt 04-30-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinmommyrice
Thanks. She has been cribbing for 2 years and had about every collar.... Do you know anything about the surgery that can be done?

I have never heard of surgery to cure cribbing.. it's a habit, like biting your nails.. I didn't know there was a surgery for it. I would be very leery about it.

PoptartShop 04-30-2008 02:15 PM

Wow they have surgery for that? :shock:

Twinmommyrice 04-30-2008 02:21 PM

There is a surgery available that is fairly effective when done early. The modified Forssell's surgical procedure may provide the best results with a 60% success rate in one large study. Surgical treatments include bilateral buccostomy (creating bilateral buccal fistulae to prevent development of an oral vacuum), neurectomy of the ventral branch of the spinal accessory nerve (to prevent motor activity of the sternomandibularis muscle), Forssell's procedure (resection of a segment of the omohyoideus, sternothyroideus and sternomandibularis muscles), and the modified Forssell's procedure (transection of a large segment of the ventral branch of the spinal accessory nerve, and transverse and oblique sectioning of the cranial, middle and caudal aspects of the omohyoideus and sternohyoideus muscles).

I found this on a website. We have tried EVERYTHING. She has been cribbing for 2 years. Has already gotten colic and is losing weight. I think this might be our last option.

Horsegirl1992 04-30-2008 10:18 PM

Have you tried putting a muzzle on her? I know of a friends horse that she had to do that to, because she was in the same situation as you are.

ColleenT 05-01-2008 01:40 PM

i have a cribber. we just outsmart him. He is not out in a wooden fence, but electric. we have it wired high enough on the posts he won't get near it. he gets fed in a rubber dish at ground level, no grain tub hooked to the stall. the water bucket is lowered. the stall has 1/2 mesh metal rabbit fence stapled onto the entire front so he cannot grab anything. ( he can and will crib thru the stall bars onto the metal part). since i have made these changes, he is fine and does not crib.

Abby 05-01-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsegirl1992
Have you tried putting a muzzle on her? I know of a friends horse that she had to do that to, because she was in the same situation as you are.

My barn manger has to muzzle her stud because of cribbing. He would not eat and then once we muzzled him, he started to eat again.

mayfieldk 05-01-2008 03:08 PM

Put a muzzle on her, one of the cribbing ones with the metal grates. She can't cribs through those, period, and can still drink and eat grass (but you may have to take it off for grain).
Also, take the sugar out of her diet. Some horses crib due to pain and stomach ulcers. Feed her beet pulp--my horse used to crib constantly in a field, and after feeding beet pulp and changing his feed... he's fine, with no cribbing collar. I'm not saying it's going to work miracles (my horse wasn't a terrible cribber), but it may help your problem.
But yeah, get the muzzle. The surgery sounds very risky (they all are, when you deal with nerves). I know there is another 'surgery' out there where they install cribbing rings in the horse's teeth... but I think your horse would crib through them.
Good luck!