The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   How much support is reasonable? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/how-much-support-reasonable-84396/)

Kitty74 04-19-2011 09:53 PM

How much support is reasonable?

I'm a sixteen-year-old rider thinking about looking for sponsorship. Due to a very long series of very unfortunate events, I am now in the position where I need it if I wish to actually continue moving forward in my riding career. My question is this-how much can I reasonably ask for? i really have no clue. Due to the aforementioned stream of bad luck, I have been stuck riding at about the same height (around 1.00) for about two years. Oh, I forgot to mention that I have switched to jumpers from hunters since I find it more enjoyable. My riding skills have vastly improved but my height has not, which i know could be a turn-off for potential sponsors. I was fourth in the SFHSA futures medal finals a few years back as well as fifth in the LAHSA horsemanship medal finals the same year. I've done a smattering of shows since then despite not riding any one horse for more than 5 months straight. I have placed pretty well in those though not spectacularly. Right now I am riding a 10 year old but fairly green prospect horse that I am not jumping very high at all. I love him to death and I want to continue riding him as well, but he is more of a project horse than anything. I don't want to make my parents pay for two horses, since that's unfair to them. Ideally I want to have enough sponsorship to pay for at least Al's(the project horse) expenses. Is this reasonable? Right now I need plain monetary support more than anything. Can I expect to get anything as I am right now/if so, how much can I reasonably ask for?

This is a video of me riding, for reference:
Thank you! I appreciate it!

sullylvr 04-19-2011 10:03 PM

Hey! I just wanted to say that y'all make a awesome pair! Really go together :) but before you jump into sponsers, just wanted to say (you probably know this) but you loose your amiture status, meaning you can not ride in college if you wanted to, and requires you to get higher qualification scores. You prob know that last one for sure but just in case you wanted to ride on a college team!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kitty74 04-20-2011 12:03 AM

Thanks! I'm hoping to hang onto him for more than 5 months this time. Yeah, I do know that, and I've considered it... I'm still exploring the idea of getting sponsorship, the pros and cons and such. Thank you!

AlexS 04-20-2011 12:33 AM

As far as sponsorship, I can't help as I don't know. But you are a tidy jumper, you look great.

Allison Finch 04-20-2011 12:53 AM

I have to tell you that you need to be a proven successful competitor before sponsors will be interested. You could go to horse related businesses and ask for show fees/transportation expenses/ hotel costs......

I would suggest you try a working student position with a top showing professional who will give you real show exposure in return for your hard labor. Until you are winning at top shows, sponsors are going to be really thin.

You are a lovely rider and have great potential. Find a way to prove it to the right people. It isn't easy!!

Kitty74 04-20-2011 12:59 AM

Thank you very much for your advice! I will do my best. I really want to continue riding, and I'm going to work for it even though I know it's going to be way hard.

Allison Finch 04-20-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty74 (Post 1004797)
Thank you very much for your advice! I will do my best. I really want to continue riding, and I'm going to work for it even though I know it's going to be way hard.

Sounds to me that you have the right attitude and the drive it takes to make it work.

Get on every horse you can and ride. Every horse has a lesson to teach you.

keep up the good work and GOOD LUCK!!

MIEventer 04-20-2011 11:27 AM

I agree with Allison - definately look into becoming a Working Student. Very benefitial in so many ways. You'll learn a lot, you'll grow a lot, you'll ride a lot and you will beable to compete if you find the right barn!

Best of luck!

Kitty74 05-02-2011 12:28 AM

update: my horse gave himself a hematoma about two weeks ago... he's fine, coming back to work full force tomorrow. Because he couldn't go to it I leased a horse from a friend for an A-rated show that I was going to go to with him. We placed sixth and above in every class except for one hunter class(he's not a hunter by any means), jumped up to a solid 1.10 height, and won the .95 jumper classic. So, all and all a good weekend :)

upnover 05-02-2011 04:06 PM

Congrats!! Sounds like a good week!