The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Good Informative Jumping Book? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/good-informative-jumping-book-84401/)

JerBear 04-19-2011 10:37 PM

Good Informative Jumping Book?

I got a job recently at a big hunter jumper barn and the head trainer is going to be giving me free lessons! Im super excited to learn how to jump. Ive always wanted to try it. I was wanting to know if anyone recommended any books to read? Maybe one with some tips and exercises to do? I thought about the book called 101 Jumping Exercises for Horse and Rider by Linda Allen but I dont know if its any good or not. Opinions? Other suggestions? Any advice would be great.... :) Thanks!

WildAcreFarms 04-20-2011 01:24 AM

i LOVE:LOVE LOVE that book

I've read it and am working through the exercises. I've done jumping before but was mostly self taught with a few lessons. that book really takes your horse slowly through learning to jump. i think the method is really good and it tells you what to look for and what you and your horse should be learning.
also each lesson builds on something you learned before. it also has excersizes donated by guests of the author. i really liked it and it's a definite part of my horse library. you can get a used copy on amazon for about 8.00

kitten_Val 04-20-2011 08:51 AM

I got this while back: http://www.amazon.com/Jumping-Exercises-Horse-JUMPING-EXERCISES/dp/B001TL1O4K/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1303303819&sr=8-11
While I can't set all of them in arena I use still there are lots and lots of interesting ones I can use.

JerBear 04-20-2011 10:54 AM

Ok thanks! I might purchase it... There was a couple more I saw but has anyone read them?

Jump with Joy
I was also wondering if anyone has tried the Riders Fitness Program book?

Oh and heres the farms website Im going to be working at! If some of the links dont work quite right its because their website is still a work in progress but here it is!
Dry Creek Equestrian Center

upnover 04-20-2011 11:18 PM

one of the absolute best books about the why's and how's of jumping (esp if you're working at an h/j barn!) is George Morris's "Hunter Seat Equitation". He's mr. h/j himself. You can get a lot out of his book. Geoff Teall has a book too that's pretty good, called something like, Develop a Winning Style. Anne Kursinkski's book "Riding and Jumping Clinic" isn't bad. But I'd read those 3 in that order.

MyBoyPuck 04-20-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerBear (Post 1005165)
Ok thanks! I might purchase it... There was a couple more I saw but has anyone read them?

Jump with Joy
I was also wondering if anyone has tried the Riders Fitness Program book?

Oh and heres the farms website Im going to be working at! If some of the links dont work quite right its because their website is still a work in progress but here it is!
Dry Creek Equestrian Center

I have Jump with Joy. While some of the info is good, the pics show mostly bad form with riders jumping ahead. Sort of takes the credibility out of it for me. I'll send you my copy if you want it.

JerBear 04-21-2011 01:11 AM

upnover thank you for pointing out the george morris book. I previewed the chapters list and it looks like its exactly what I need! Thank you!!!

JerBear 04-21-2011 01:15 AM

Sorry for the double post. Thats really nice of you to offer myboypuck but I think the george morris book would be the best for me... It looks like its got a lot of good info! Any more tips or exercises I could do to prepare me for jumping would be great! Im pretty nervous because I know Im gonna eat dirt sometime haha

upnover 04-25-2011 11:57 AM

No problem! Remember too when it comes to jumping (or most riding) what you think will happen will happen! Don't image yourself eating dirt, imagine yourself doing it well. You will be just fine! Everyone starts somewhere. :)

VelvetsAB 04-25-2011 12:01 PM

I have the riders excercise book. Its full of good excercises for a person to do. Each page shows how the excercise helps with riding.

I'm part way through the George Morris book, and have found it very helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device