The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   rounded shoulders (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/rounded-shoulders-84406/)

rosie1 04-20-2011 12:36 AM

rounded shoulders

Ive been getting a little frustrated lately with my shoulders. Due to sitting and walking around with horrible slouched shoulders all day every day this has obviously translates to rounded shoulders in the saddle. Its not terrible but its hindering me from really expanding and opening up my chest. I've been trying to remember to carry myself with good posture in day to day life but my shoulders are very stiff (probably from carrying myself so poorly for so long) and it can be somewhat painful and hard for me to keep them back for any length of time. Does anyone have any sort of excersizes or...something at all really haha that might help me in this situation. I'm open to any suggestions for in or out of the saddle
Posted via Mobile Device

MIEventer 04-20-2011 01:58 AM

Hmm, well, when I am riding I have to remind myself to "Lift my heart" - so that I am opening my chest.

Have you thought to try this? I've never tried it - so I don't know the "reviews"

Dover Saddlery | Shoulders Back Lite .

Kayty 04-20-2011 02:15 AM

"Flash your assets" - worked for me ;)

back again 04-20-2011 05:49 AM

I've had problems with my shoulder for a couple of years, it kept dislocating and then I had surgery on it. One of the things I had to think about to improve my posture in my shoulders is really thinking about drawing my shoulder blades together.

At the beginning I had to practice it standing against a wall. Palms on the wall at shouldr height with arms out straight. Think about lifting your shoulders up, and then back. Finally take them down.

You should feel the muscles under and around your shoulder blades start to work. They are the ones that stabilize the shoulder and help a lot with posture.

Hope that helps :-)

rosie1 04-20-2011 08:11 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, I don't know about the little vest thing I've never seen one before actually! Don't have the money right now anyways, horse needs the chiro of course just money money money all the time with them :P ill definitely be trying your advice back again and will start thinking about my "assets" ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 04-20-2011 08:15 PM

Yeah, I'm very bad with that too. Been walking around like a shrimp for decades. I started doing pilates the strengthen my core muscles and when I'm driving, I try to keep my shoulders in contact with the back of the seat. I drive a lot, so I get a lot of benefit from that one. I know what you're saying about the not being able to force it thing. You're dealing with a long time of contracted "front" muscles and over stretched back muscles. It's going to take some muscle retraining to work that out.

rosie1 04-21-2011 12:09 AM

Oo I like that one about keeping my shoulders against the seat while driving! That would be a good one for me since I'm probably the worst while I'm in my truck
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 04-21-2011 12:31 AM

yeah, just generally doing exercizes to strengthen your shoulders and arms and core is key. I have been going to a gym lately and boy, do I notice a difference overall in my riding.

TheLastUnicorn 04-21-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by back again (Post 1004909)
I've had problems with my shoulder for a couple of years, it kept dislocating and then I had surgery on it. One of the things I had to think about to improve my posture in my shoulders is really thinking about drawing my shoulder blades together.

At the beginning I had to practice it standing against a wall. Palms on the wall at shouldr height with arms out straight. Think about lifting your shoulders up, and then back. Finally take them down.

You should feel the muscles under and around your shoulder blades start to work. They are the ones that stabilize the shoulder and help a lot with posture.

Hope that helps :-)

I'm just coming back from a broken arm - my physio has me doing this one.

I also do a "chair" with my back against the wall. (and make sure while I'm driving I have contact with the back of my seat)

I've also found doing yoga helps with my overall posture. (and I've found my Wii fit helps make this sort of thing way more fun than videos - a bit more interaction and feedback)