The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Downwards transitions FAIL. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/downwards-transitions-fail-84449/)

Hollaaaay 04-20-2011 02:42 PM

Downwards transitions FAIL.

Well, after buying my horse, i discovered he SUCKS at anything but jumping, so my time and dedication has gone into getting him onto the bit and engaged behind, and also listening to my cues a split second after I ask them.

Today, we took a stroll down the lane into the school and i began some proper transition work with him. Bless his little soul, he put sooo much effort into the upwards transitions; flying into a beautiful canter from walk, trotting exactly on cue from halt, but his canter to trot and trot to walk are awful.

I honestly don't know what else i can do other than repetitive training. I've tried so much, and he just doesn't GET that when i sit deep, half halt half halt squeeeeeze, means slow down. He ends up prancing into the downwards transition, when all i'm asking is for him to smoothly go from canter to trot etc.

HELPPP, what excersises have you done to improve your nags responsiveness to cues?

MyBoyPuck 04-20-2011 07:29 PM

Maybe try transitions within the gaits instead of between gaits. By that I mean, trot, lengthen trot, back to working trot, collected trot, back to working, you get the idea. That would get your horse listening to your aids better and also force you to communicate properly through your seat in order to get the distinct changes. One you've got communication established, then work between gaits. All that trotting will help with his balance, so by the time you go back to between gaits, he should be able to balance himself better.

JerBear 04-20-2011 07:54 PM

Have you tried breathing out when you want him to transition down? Meredith Manor always harped on that helping some people.... Good luck!

christopher 04-20-2011 08:27 PM

if it's softness/responsiveness that he's lacking then do lots of backing up imo.
if it's quality then i imagine nothing but practice will help.

tinyliny 04-20-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerBear (Post 1005705)
Have you tried breathing out when you want him to transition down? Meredith Manor always harped on that helping some people.... Good luck!

This is good. Also, he may only know leg on as meaning "go", so try doing the transitions with less or no leg on, and give him a release to the bit the second you feel a change in his attitude that he is thinking "reduce speed".

Spyder 04-20-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollaaaay (Post 1005439)
Well, after buying my horse, i discovered he SUCKS at anything but jumping, so my time and dedication has gone into getting him onto the bit and engaged behind, and also listening to my cues a split second after I ask them.

Today, we took a stroll down the lane into the school and i began some proper transition work with him. Bless his little soul, he put sooo much effort into the upwards transitions; flying into a beautiful canter from walk, trotting exactly on cue from halt, but his canter to trot and trot to walk are awful.

I honestly don't know what else i can do other than repetitive training. I've tried so much, and he just doesn't GET that when i sit deep, half halt half halt squeeeeeze, means slow down. He ends up prancing into the downwards transition, when all i'm asking is for him to smoothly go from canter to trot etc.

HELPPP, what excersises have you done to improve your nags responsiveness to cues?

All the suggestions so far are great BUT without knowing exactly what happens when you ask for any transition from a fcanter to walk I can't give you advice that would be suitable.

Does he fall on the forehand? Run into the transition ? Is he unbalanced? Is the transition jerky...just what????????

rosie1 04-20-2011 10:46 PM

Good advice given! I just wanted to say that although it sounds really simple I actually had fantastic results with trot to halt transitions on my mare when I started breathing out for it. I made it part of the cue, I would do 2 half halts to prepare her breathing out each time and on the 3rd I would ask for the halt pairing it with a longer deeper exhale. I was doing the same without breathing out in that purposeful way and got results but they were laggy when I feel like it halts, adding in the breathing seemed to really gell everything together
Posted via Mobile Device