The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Confo Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/confo-critique-84451/)

DieselPony 04-20-2011 02:43 PM

Confo Critique

1 Attachment(s)
Is anyone willing to give a critique on my mare? She is five in this picture and a QH.

Also, I have no intentions of ever breeding her, she seems to mediocre to me, plus I don't want to risk anything happening to her. But yet I still have someone trying really hard to convince me to breed her to a particular stallion.

As he is not my horse I can't post a picture openly, but is it possible to PM someone who is willing a picture of him so they can give me an outsider's point of view on why the two will not make a nice foal? Anyone up for that?

I just don't see him as a nice stallion but everyone else who sees him just loves him and I would like to have an actual conformation based reason to not breed the two because me just not wanting to doesn't suffice for his owner.

Thanks

Dragonflyhorsetack 04-20-2011 03:29 PM

Critique

She is a cute mare. She is heavy on her front end and seems to have pretty small feet and she is a little thick through the throat latch. Hope this helps. She is a cutie!

equiniphile 04-20-2011 03:46 PM

Since when aren't we allowed to post possible sires?

DieselPony 04-20-2011 04:19 PM

I just figured as he isn't my horse and I'm trying to find an actual reason to why I don't like him.
I just can't place why he looks wrong, but something looks off on him for me to think he isn't a good stud prospect. I just thought it was in the best interest to not post someone else's horse when he has no idea it's being critiqued.

It just seems off to me to publicly post a picture of someone else's horse to get someone with more knowledge on horse's conformation to tell me why he looks wonky.

smrobs 04-20-2011 05:22 PM

Since it is a 'possible' stallion, I really don't see anything wrong with posting a pic and asking for a critique. At least that way, you can get some legitimate reasons to avoid the breeding.

Your mare is cute, but I agree with you, she's really nothing spectacular. Her neck is short and thick with a very thick throatlatch, her shoulder is a bit upright, it appears that she may be a bit back at the knee as well. BUT, the thing that turns me off instantly for breeding purposes is her front feet. They are very small for her body size and that can lead to a ton of lameness issues.

Ember 04-20-2011 09:25 PM

Thick through the neck, as the other two pointed out. I think the term I want for the front leg is "calf-knee". Club-footed in front, at the very least grade one, which might predispose her for ringbone formation or arthritic formation in the joints as well. Club-footedness is also an inherited trait. She might have a little coon-thing going on with the hind hooves too, but I can't tell for sure. I might just be misjudging due to the comparison of the forefeet.

Saddlebag 04-20-2011 09:36 PM

There's always someone who will jump in and suggest you breed an animal then sometimes get a little snooty if you don't.

bubba13 04-21-2011 12:29 AM

You're right about her mediocrity and lack of quality for broodmare potential. That said, she has some nice traits. Good shoulder, decent enough neck except for the thick throatlatch, OK front legs but the feet look small and potentially problematic, back is long, croup is steep, hindquarters are otherwise adequate and good.

DieselPony 04-22-2011 01:31 PM

Club foot? That one is new, and what do you mean by coon-foot?

Should I get pictures of her feet standing on concrete so there is no snow/dirt and shots of bottoms to make sure she is being trimmed appropriately?

I do like my farrier, I have heard good things of him working great for horses and discussing things thoroughly from the well horse-educated, but then others complain he just comes, trims the feet as pleased, differing from horse to horse of theirs and then really encourages them to call him in only *gasp* 6 weeks.

So I bet I'm coming off as a horse hoof newbie and he is just trimming for my horse without me really knowing why. He did sound kind of concerned when he found out a different farrier did her feet once. (just so happened to be a few weeks before these pictures were taken)

smrobs 04-22-2011 04:08 PM

Honestly, I see neither a club foot or a coon foot problem. Yes, her front hooves are small and slightly upright, coupled with upright pasterns, but that is seen in many QH bloodlines, especially halter bred horses.

As for coon footed, that is an issue with the suspensory system of the legs (most often the hind legs) and usually looks like this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_abIiUtUC04...+coon+foot.jpg