The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Lowering head? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/lowering-head-84456/)

Onetrickpony 04-20-2011 05:06 PM

Lowering head?

If I ask my horse to carry her head low riding 2 handed, she will do it. But of course, in the show ring you have to ride 1 handed. Is there any excersizes you guys do while riding one handed to lower your horses head? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!:D

SorrelHorse 04-20-2011 05:19 PM

What signal are you using now to ask for the lowering of the head?

Onetrickpony 04-20-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1005557)
What signal are you using now to ask for the lowering of the head?

Uhm, when riding 2 handed, I open my hands wide and just hold the pressure (not pulling) and she'll lower her head and tip her nose in. <-- it works really well for my horse. When I ride 1 handed, if I lift my hand up and hold the pressure, sometimes she will lower her head. But this only works 50% of the time.

SorrelHorse 04-20-2011 05:52 PM

Alright...lol Just making sure. Sometimes people have wierd signals for things.

Use leg when you are asking for the head to lower. And practice a lot with two hands as if you are riding one handed. Bring your hands close together, ask, and if she doesn't do it open your hands and ask. Just ask for it with the one handed cue first, and eventually she will understand that the cue means head down.

Onetrickpony 04-22-2011 03:04 PM

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Spastic_Dove 04-22-2011 05:20 PM

I really hate the idea of focusing on a horses head. The head is just a pretty accessory for the body. The neck is used to balance and if the body is moving correctly, the head should come into place.

*sigh* However (and I will probably get yelled at for this, I am aware), I am currently employed at a barn that is pretty high up in the AQHA world. On their WP horses they teach them that by giving a squeeze with both calves the horse should lower their head. This way your hand stays still when you are riding one-handed in the show ring. I rather see this than toying with their mouth.

If she is put together in the way that she naturally wants to carry her neck level (which a lot of the horses bred for this are) you should be able to ask her to round and move from her hind end and her neck/head will fall into place on it's own which is far preferable.

raywonk 04-23-2011 05:02 PM

Spastic dove is right. If your horse is colected and in the corect fram her head will go down. Now here is my opinion on why when you two hand her head gose down and when you use one hand her head gose up.
with two hands you are holding pressure and asking her to reach into the bit and round up and move forward. which is collecting her and putting her into fram so head down.
now when you spich to one hand you lose the suport so head dose not go down.
You should be able to feel if your horse is round or flat. most of the time if a horse is flat backed then his head will be up.
I reach my legs under my horse as far as I can and pull up while holding my horses face lightly with one hand.
You can start this on the ground stand next to your horse and push under the belly up and see what happends.
At first your horse may try to speed up that is why i say lightly hold the face. As she learns that this cue is not to go faster but to round up she will not speed up and you will use less hand. I hope I explande that well sorry it was so long winded.

Onetrickpony 04-24-2011 09:16 PM

Thanks! No, I totally understood that. I juat did a clinic the other day, and he was explaining like horses are like a suspension bridge, if you pick up the middle the both ends will drop down. Do you guys have any excersizes you do to get your horses round and collected? (thats probably the question I should've asked) Anyway, I appreciate all your guys help!! :)

raywonk 04-25-2011 05:35 PM

We do a lot of sholders in and out then hunches in and out. I ride a lot of squares. Rollbacks. Hot dogs at trott and lope. The softer he is the more he can colletct. So I do lots of flexing things. I poke funn at my dressage friends telling them "Anything your horse can do My horse can do better."
Walk forward 5 steps side pass 5 back 5 side pass 5 making a box. Ground poles are good to. Jugging and loping over just simple strait lines.

Onetrickpony 04-26-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raywonk (Post 1011455)
We do a lot of sholders in and out then hunches in and out. I ride a lot of squares. Rollbacks. Hot dogs at trott and lope.

What do you mean by "hot dogs"??:-)