The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   NEED HELP! Nusrsing Mare Kicked = Swollen (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/need-help-nusrsing-mare-kicked-%3D-84457/)

mayor16 04-20-2011 06:08 PM

NEED HELP! Nusrsing Mare Kicked = Swollen

3 Attachment(s)
This mare has a baby a week and a half old. We moved them to our other farm and the mare was kicked in the rear flank 3 days ago. We only noticed because of the huge amount of swelling. We have given her a penicillin shot. Not sure what to do next if she has ruptured something or it is her milk vein swollen.

smrobs 04-20-2011 06:15 PM

This is really something that should be seen by a vet. It could be something as minor as just some swelling or it could be something serious and life threatening like a hernia, broken bone, or it could turn into a blood clot issue.

RATHER BE RIDING 04-20-2011 06:36 PM

The exact same thing happened to my friends mare. Unfortunately, it was my mare that kicked her. We did call the vet and the swelling is fluid, mainly blood. It takes time for it to drain and will shift from one spot to another, usually from the site of the kick to underneath the belly, until it has been absorbed back into the body. It does take a long time to go away. I even called the vet twice because I was so concerned since my horse was the one that caused it. There is really nothing that you can do to speed up the healing process. He said that other vets would suggest hot packing it, but he did not think that would make a difference. Exercise is good for her as it keeps the blood moving.

I would suggest calling the vet just so you know for sure that there are no other issues.

franknbeans 04-20-2011 07:46 PM

It may be the same and it may not. I would call the vet. There is no sense taking a chance, IMO.

RATHER BE RIDING 05-04-2011 09:45 PM

How is your mare doing?

mayor16 05-04-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RATHER BE RIDING (Post 1023620)
How is your mare doing?

Thanks for the advice and for asking on her progress! She is doing wonderful. Just with a little bit of time her body re-absorbed the fluids.
Posted via Mobile Device

RATHER BE RIDING 05-05-2011 09:37 AM

Glad to hear she is better!

Alwaysbehind 05-05-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayor16 (Post 1023784)
Thanks for the advice and for asking on her progress! She is doing wonderful. Just with a little bit of time her body re-absorbed the fluids.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad she is doing better. You were lucky.

With a foal at their side nursing is not the time to not call the vet when there is an issue.

candandy49 05-05-2011 12:05 PM

What a relief to know your mare is better with the reduction of swelling. Please do keep us updated!!!!