The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   wave those chestnuts goodbye and other show tips (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/wave-those-chestnuts-goodbye-other-show-84472/)

Marlea Warlea 04-20-2011 08:01 PM

wave those chestnuts goodbye and other show tips

so guys, if anyone has annoying chestnuts (the knee things on horses) all you have to do is rub vasaline on them and they peel right off!!!

also if you own a chestnut (colour) horse mix pumpkin in with its feed as that will shine the coat

shaving cream (not the foaming kind) is a really good way to clean tack

Kymbadina 04-21-2011 07:37 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm
I gave Gunnar a hollowed out pumpkin on halloween with grain and carrots/apples chopped up. He didn't eat the pumpkin but maybe in his feed..
And I hate chestnuts :) I peel them weekly if there's anything there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marlea Warlea 04-21-2011 07:39 PM

lol, any other tips would be great guys!!

Brighteyes 04-21-2011 08:25 PM

Would feeding this pumpkin to a bay and white pinto do anything to the white?

(Wow. I feel like I just asked a stupid question.)

masatisan 04-21-2011 10:16 PM

Caleb's chestnuts peel nicely without anything on them. On sweaty horses/saddle pads, baby powder works wonders for drying and helps greatly with sweaty horsey smell! Just be careful not to let the horse accidentally inhale any.

Also for hoof, joint, coat and skin health, two teaspoons of flax seed oil (cold pressed organic) is an amazing supplement. It also helps metabolism and immune function and can even reduce inflammation!

touchofsleep 04-21-2011 10:42 PM

definitely doing the vaseline thing. My horse has those chesnuts and I want them gone!

Marlea Warlea 04-23-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 1006999)
Would feeding this pumpkin to a bay and white pinto do anything to the white?

(Wow. I feel like I just asked a stupid question.)

sorry, dont know :)

uhm what else... hairspray on black hooves work wonders!

use a cooking mitt to rub a horse, it makes the coat look shiny and glossy

upnover 04-26-2011 10:28 PM

actually on most horses you can just peel the chestnuts right off without anything. that's what i do. :) on the ones that are harder usually they're pretty soft after a bath.

tabby 04-27-2011 11:08 AM

If you don't have a sweat scraper, a windshield ice scraper works almost as well.

I had a horse that wouldn't let me give her a bath with a hose, so I got a wash comb thing that you hook a hose up to so it looks like a brush, but then you can gradually add water. it worked for my horse, now i don't have to use buckets and sponges! But I still use that wash comb, because I like it even better then a hose and you can almost curry while you wash.

petitepyromaniac 04-27-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlea Warlea (Post 1009225)
uhm what else... hairspray on black hooves work wonders!

What does that do?