The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   How long after gelding can a horse still breed a mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/how-long-after-gelding-can-horse-8452/)

Britt 04-30-2008 05:46 PM

How long after gelding can a horse still breed a mare?

How long can a horse who's been gelded still 'do the deed'?

Ok, maybe I should rephrase that...

My mare recently (as in yesterday) went into heat and my cousins gelding was in the pasture. He's only been gelded a few months... My mare was teasing him, and he mounted her.

He was also beating the crud out of my two year old colt and was rounding the mares up and keeping my colt away from them... he was also trying to herd the mares away from me when I was trying to catch them to feed my girl.

While I was out there, the gelding attacked my colt, and my colt ran to me to 'protect' him.

This horse has only been gelded a few months, and he's a grade Quater Horse/Racking Horse (I think)... He's got 1 foal (a filly that we own) on the ground (she wasn't planned, and we didn't own the mare at the time of the breeding).

So, how long after gelding can a recently-gelded horse still breed a mare and create a foal?

Vidaloco 04-30-2008 06:29 PM

I found this on Cherry Hills site. I was really surprised they can still impregnate a mare after gelding.
-------
The castration of a male horse is a simple surgical procedure with few risks. Sperm cells are produced in the testicles, matured and stored in the epididymus, and transported via the vas deferens to the ejaculatory site. Gelding removes the testicles, epididymus, part of the spermatic cord, and the covering of the testicles. With gelding comes an immediate cessation in the production of sperm cells, yet newly gelded horses have impregnated mares. This is due to the presence of the ampulla, a sperm reservoir at the end of the vas deferens. Because the ampulla is not removed during gelding, a gelding can potentially settle a mare for up to one month after castration. After one month, the sperm that were stored in the ampulla at the time of castration are no longer viable.
------
Heres the link if you want to read the whole article. Its pretty interesting
http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_he..._aftercare.htm

Britt 04-30-2008 06:47 PM

Ok, thanks a lot. I guess, thinking about it, that I could have just looked it up... but I prefer asking the 'forum family'... Lol.

Thanks so much.

Vidaloco 04-30-2008 06:58 PM

Hey, thank you :D I learned something new too.

Britt 04-30-2008 08:00 PM

Lol.

I don't have anything to worry about, either. Skeeter's been gelded a few months (his owner better than the stars, too...). all I've really got to worry about is whether or not the fact that my colt got his rear-end handed to him will affect the way he acts and all... So far, it hasn't... He seems to think of me as his 'protector'... when Skeet attacked him, Dakota ran straight to me and got behind me! XD!

irisheyes12 05-19-2008 07:35 PM

I've been told that up to 4 months after being gelded.

kickshaw 05-19-2008 07:39 PM

I've always gone with a 90 day period :)

PoptartShop 05-19-2008 07:44 PM

Yeah, same (90-day). ;) You learn something new every day!

irisheyes12 05-19-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoptartShop
Yeah, same (90-day). ;) You learn something new every day!

Yep I take pride in the fact that i'm like a sponge :)

carriedenaee 05-22-2008 02:27 PM

Booger was gelded when he was 2 yrs old, he i snow 5 yrs old and he mounted a mare in heat in our pasture the other day...no chance of getting her regnant but still gets the urge i guess...i never dreamed of him doin that...he was also keeping the mares clear of the geldings...so i dont know...my sister is studying to be a vet and she said some have geldings proud cut so they can tell when the mares are in heat.....i dont know much about any of it though...at least he gaves us the go ahead :wink: we were waiting to breed that mare with our stallion