The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Importants Of Vet Checks. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/importants-vet-checks-84554/)

ChingazMyBoy 04-21-2011 07:23 PM

Importants Of Vet Checks.

Hello,

So recently I discovered that some people are unaware of how much getting yearly Vet Checks can impact on your horses health. They allow trained professionals (vets) to pick up any health issues that may occur with your horse in the near future. Also at this time it allows vets to give our horses their yearly vaccinations - which is very important to the health of our horses! Depending on where abouts your located in the world, the vaccinations your horse needs can vary. But keeping your horse wormed, vaccinated, there feet trimmed (and shod - if necessary) and teeth done is very important (too me) as part of keeping your horses life style as quality as possible.

Of course, there is the issue of financial situations. But the health of your horse should be your number one priority in care of them. Buying them that pretty, purple halter even though you have a perfectly good blue one is less important. Firstly, I know buying a new halter and paying for your horses vet check is a completely different price range. But putting some money aside which you would spend on small "un-necessary" items for your horse, can easily add up. When going into purchasing your own horse, you also need to consider the financials side of things - ask yourself this "Will I be able to give my horse a quality standard of living".

Yearly vet checks, too me are very useful in the care of my horse - my vet gives me continuous updates on how my horses weight is going, his fitness levels - whether his being worked too hard, she checks out his teeth, looks at his confirmation and finally vaccinates him against potentially life threatening diseases.

Rant over (:

apachewhitesox 04-21-2011 07:37 PM

I understand your rant. Sadly I am one of the people who fall under this no regular vet checks. With a non-horsie family who just don't understand it all it is very hard to try and convince them of all the things they need. Especially when they are the ones paying for almost everything. It took me awhile to convince them that there teeth needed looking at or when I first got them that their feet needed doing not in a few months but as soon as possible. I also don't like that when the horses have needed a vet and I have tried to tell them that they won't get one out until a more experienced horse person comes out and confirms it like they don't trust my judgement. I feel like an idiot when I ask the person if they need a vet, I swear they look at me like are you seriously asking me this. They also seem to think that because for example Apache is well known for being a jerk and isn't ridden he needs less care as in food or attention for example. I mean to an extent yes that is true with the food but they almost get up me for feeding him anything. They'll point out look he's fat which if he was was it would be just barely and I'm like thats because I feed him. They seem to think he can just live off the grass which two other horses also have access to. Sorry for my mini rant I'll stop there this could go on forever.

Marlea Warlea 04-21-2011 08:01 PM

i would like to share my opinion, if you really know your horse, you will know if there is something wrong. And you only get a vet out when there is something up.

amp23 04-21-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachewhitesox (Post 1006962)
I understand your rant. Sadly I am one of the people who fall under this no regular vet checks. With a non-horsie family who just don't understand it all it is very hard to try and convince them of all the things they need. Especially when they are the ones paying for almost everything. It took me awhile to convince them that there teeth needed looking at or when I first got them that their feet needed doing not in a few months but as soon as possible. I also don't like that when the horses have needed a vet and I have tried to tell them that they won't get one out until a more experienced horse person comes out and confirms it like they don't trust my judgement. I feel like an idiot when I ask the person if they need a vet, I swear they look at me like are you seriously asking me this. They also seem to think that because for example Apache is well known for being a jerk and isn't ridden he needs less care as in food or attention for example. I mean to an extent yes that is true with the food but they almost get up me for feeding him anything. They'll point out look he's fat which if he was was it would be just barely and I'm like thats because I feed him. They seem to think he can just live off the grass which two other horses also have access to. Sorry for my mini rant I'll stop there this could go on forever.

I completely understand where you're coming from. My parents also pay for my horse. Thankfully they now understand the yearly coggins for the barn, farrier, etc, but he does not get the yearly vaccinations unfortunately. I am in the process of trying to get my parents to let me take him in to at least get some vaccinations soon. He is only in with one other horse, neither horse has ever had any health issues, so I'm not really too worried, I'd really like the yearly vaccinations but money has gotten soo tight for us lately.

ChingazMyBoy 04-21-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlea Warlea (Post 1006980)
i would like to share my opinion, if you really know your horse, you will know if there is something wrong. And you only get a vet out when there is something up.

A horse still needs vaccinations - in my opinion. I would rather get a vet to check a horse that I believe is 100% healthy and be told he is 100%. However this is just my opinion.

Kayty 04-22-2011 12:28 AM

I vaccinate my horses myself. It's not hard to do.
Teeth are done by an Equident, I don't get vets to do it as its not their area of expertise.
I am perfectly able to monitor my horse's weight and fitness levels, so I am not paying a vet to tell me what I already know.

Only time I get the vet is for a pre-purchase examination, or if I desperately need veterinary assistant.
My belief is that EVERY horse owner should know basic first aid - taking temperature and heart rate, dressing a minor wound and ability to pinpoint lameness to a general area. You should be able to find any heat in a limb of hoof and so on.
People waste so much money getting a vet out for every minor bump, scrape or touch of lameness. You would save this if you knew basic equine first aid. Get a horse book and learn it. It will save you in the long run.

Of course, the major issues, large injuries, persistent lameness (a slight dip in the stride warrants a few days off and a couple of Butes, then we try again and if lameness is STILL present, THEN the vet is called), abnormal temperatures etc. are given veterinary attention.

apachewhitesox 04-22-2011 12:33 AM

^^^ I think that might be partly how my mum sees it. I'm curious about the vaccinating a horse yourself. This might sound a bit silly but where would you buy the stuff from and such? We also don't get the vet for our horses teeth we found a wonderful lady who soley does horse dentistry and she was half the price of a vet we were going to use. She is great explains everything to you in great detail and she also doesn't drug the horses unless there is a great need she just takes it slow.

Kayty 04-22-2011 12:37 AM

As you're in Aus (I assume according to your location), it's simple to source vaccinations. You can buy directly from the vet, and a lot of fodder stores will sell them as well. Just ask your vet to tell you what type of vaccinations you need. If you can get them to come and show you how to do it, then you're good to go. Just need to be shown where to inject and how.

HowClever 04-22-2011 12:46 AM

I'm the same as Kayty. I vaccinate my horses myself.

Vet care is sought for things I can't handle myself (major wounds, colic, choke, etc).

I have a "horse first aid kit" packed with bandages, gauze, various topical wound treatments, stethoscope, thermometer etc etc etc.

My horses' quality of life is pretty darn good, but they only see the vet when there is something I can't handle myself.

apachewhitesox 04-22-2011 12:50 AM

Thanks Kayty I'll talk to my mum about it