The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   A Horse Rider's Health Standards (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/horse-riders-health-standards-84645/)

Moonstruck 04-22-2011 10:06 PM

A Horse Rider's Health Standards

A question for all of you horse riders.

What do you guys do for exercise that keep you at your best?

What kind of diet do you maintain?

Any special vitamins or routines?

I'm on a misson to lose some weight so that I can be ready to get in a saddle by next year! SO I need some tips and tricks :) Don't be shy!

Lonannuniel 04-22-2011 10:29 PM

I wish I had suggestions, but I'm subbing! I would also like to know what people suggest! =)

Spastic_Dove 04-22-2011 10:32 PM

I work in the barn all day which lately has been my only physical exercise. After riding multiple horses and lifting saddles all day I just want to crawl into a bath and eat cookies.

Normally though I stick with pilates/yoga to help my core strength and flexibility. It's also low impact which is great for my bad knees.

I also take pole dancing classes which is amazing strength/toning.

Occasionally I will take the pups out to run/hike but with the weather I haven't gotten to do that much.

My diet is crap... I try to stay away from soft drinks (usually fail) and sweets (also fail) but I generally eat whatever...

I take a prenatal vitamin as my mutli-vitamin.

Moonstruck 04-22-2011 10:37 PM

I'm looking to actually sign up for some yoga/pilates classes at the Green Monkey in South Miami. Kind puts a dent in the $ though, its $125/mo.
And pole dancing i heard is awesome but i think my thighs would get a serious pole burn :lol:

Spastic_Dove 04-22-2011 10:40 PM

I'm lucky, my uni offers free morning sessions rotating between yoga or pilates.

Your thighs get used to it after awhile as far as the pole dancing goes. I bruise very easily though so I look like I've been beaten up all over my legs the morning after each class :shock:

jyuukai 04-22-2011 11:03 PM

I totally do belly dancing lol. Keeps me loose, strengthens my core, works on my hips and arms, perfect! I take a prenatal as my daily vitamin, and when I can stomach it I take 1200mg of fish oil as well :)
Of course my hip is partially stuck in place atm so no belly dancing for me :(

HollyBubbles 04-23-2011 04:47 AM

I'm a lazy 16yo, I eat whatever, do no exercise on purpose and well.. That kind of sums me up :lol: *says sheepishly.

The only excercise I do is walking around my school between classes and throughout breaks, the school is about 1km long or so, so I end up walking around 3-4km most days if not more. I can't go to far to fast though because my spine digs into my lungs (thanks scoliosis) and it hurts really bad so I can't breathe.
The only other "excercise" I do is either lunging/riding/catching my horses, or running around speedway asking for tools to fix my race car etc.. I don't do much I'm just lucky I keep muscle easily and don't gain much weight.
-On a good day I'll walk up to see Mitchell, its about 1km there and back, I generally go a few times a day because I have the houdini of all horses.... HeadDesk.

Moonstruck 04-24-2011 08:20 AM

For me, all of my weight is in my bum. I've got the latina figure. I am trying to trim down so that by the end of next year I can get to a better weight and it should help with my riding when I start. I usually have a ton of lower back pain, so yoga should help. And I usually eat pretty healthy, not so much because I'm trying but because I prefer it. Although I have a problem with bread! I love bread. I can eat sandwiches all day lol... Starting to appreciate the wrap though.

@jyuukai Belly-dancing sounds awesome! Sorry 'bout your hip though

back again 04-26-2011 12:28 PM

When I was ski racing a nutritionist came out to talk to the team, it was actually quite interesting the things that they said. To start with eat breakfast within 1/2 hr of wakeing up, then have a morning tea type thing (muslei bar or something like that) - a decent sized lunch, an afternoon snack, and then dinner. If you are doing any hard excersize doing it in the afternoon is more beneficial than in the morning. And your metabolism is fastest within 1/2-1 hr of doing excercize.

I also had to take a bunch of supplements (mainly calcium and iron)

good luck :D

Bluezepher94 04-26-2011 08:58 PM

I only get to ride once a week, so I don't get much exercise from working with/riding the horses. I go to the gym around 3 times a week and walk/run 2-2.5 miles. I like the cardio work; I think it really helps with endurance for riding. Some of the strength-machines are pretty good for riding-muscles, too. I eat like a normal 16yo; I can't stick to eating healthy for too long. xD